Kid Blink

I jumped out of the other end and hit the ground rolling. I looked around and saw that I was in an alley.

In 1899.

In Newsies.

Smiling like an idiot, I got up and brushed myself off, noting that my clothes I was wearing changed to newsie clothes. They were quite comfortable. I heard a yip behind me and turned to see Quicksilver tumbling out of the portal, looking distraught.

"It's okay, girl. It's okay." I said reassuringly, running up to her. I knelt next to her and hugged her tightly. "You're okay, Silver. You'll be fine."

She whimpered and I pulled away, smiling reassuringly. "Come on. I've gotta send some note through. I don't think I ain't ever going back."

I looked around and spotted a piece of scrap paper. I picked it up and pulled my pencil-that I always carried with me-out of my pocket. I quickly scratched out a short note, folded it into a paper airplane, and threw it into the portal. It immediately closed behind the plane and I sighed.

"Well, it looks like we're gonna be stuck here until we die, Silver." I stated. Not that I minded, mind you. 

We walked out of the alley and into the road. I blinked a few times, adjusting from the alley's dark lighting.

Suddenly, I heard singing in the distance. I gasped. I recognized that song!

"It's Carryin' da Banna!" I said gleefully in a newsie accent. I ran in the direction of the singing with Quicksilver on my heels.

I slowed down once we reached Newsies Square and the Horace Greely statue. I crept behind the statue and climbed up, watching the Newsies from my post. Quicksilver yawned and ambled off.

Near the end of the song, Kid Blink spotted me and winked*. I blushed and smiled back. He made his way over to me once the song ended.

"You'se done seem like ya from he-ah." he said. "I's Kid Blink, but ya can call me Blink."

I nodded, trying very hard to not blurt out, "I KNOW!" 

I've watched that movie so many times, I could tell you anything about it.

"I's Kr-" I started to reply, but then thought twice. I remembered to talk with a newsie accent**, but I didn't know whether to use my real name or not***.

"I's Thalia. Thalia Grace****." I replied, jumping down from the statue.

"Well, Thalia," Blink said, holding his arm out for me to take. "Every newsie needs a nickname. And ya have a bow and arrow. How's 'bout I call ya Arrow?"

I smiled at him. "Dat's what I's like ta hear."

Blink smiled back at me. "Ya want me ta take ya ta da 'Hattan Lodgin' House?" he asked. "Ya looks like ya need a place ta stay."

I nodded. "Sounds good." I put my fingers to my mouth and let out a shrill whistle. Blink covered his ears and cringed.

"Jeez! A little warnin' next time?" he told me.

I smiled sheepishly. "Sorry. But I's can't leave me pet behind."

"Ya pet? Who's ya pet?"

I glanced behind Blink and smirked. "Her." I said, pointing to Quicksilver loping towards us. Blink whirled around, saw her, and shrieked before jumping behind me. I giggled.

"You-You-You'se got a pet wolf?!" he exclaimed as he timidly left his position from behind me. Quicksilver raised her paw, leaned back, and tilted her head down. She straightened herself, then held up her paw again, waiting for Blink.

"What'd she do?" he asked me.

"She bowed ta ya. Now she's waitin' fo' ya ta shake."

"Oh." he realized. He shyly stepped forward and took her paw in his hand, slightly shaking it.

"So, you'se gonna show me the Lodgin' House or am I's gonna find it meself?" I wondered, jolting Blink out of his hand/paw-shake with Quicksilver.

"Oh, right." he said sheepishly, rubbing the back of his neck. "This way." he replied, nodding in the direction of the Lodging House. Again, I resisted the urge to say I knew things. I resisted the urge to run off with Quicksilver to the Lodging House, yelling, "Keep up, old man!" over my shoulder at Blink and leaving him in the dust. I nodded for him to lead the way, and followed him to the Lodging House.

*It's kinda ironic that Kid Blink winked. He's got one functioning eye....

**Makes my story more believable unless I say otherwise.

***I obviously decided not to.

****Yes, I know that Uncle Rick made Thalia. But my friend and I gave each other and other people nicknames. Long story short, I got Thalia, so I go by that name sometimes. All rights go to Rick Riordan for Thalia. I am merely using the name as an alias.

If you get my "Keep up, old man!" reference, you are now my favorite person.