Where I'm From Poem

This was my "Where I'm From" poem for English class. I got an A. So... here it is.

"El lugar que llame Mi Hogar
(The Place I Called Home)"            

I am from the Island of Enchantment.

I am from apartment buildings, beyond those, the roofing I grew under. Lined by colossal cement walls. I am from suffocating humid air, just about everywhere. I am from the bluest waters you've ever seen. I am from exotic beaches. Pink water and blue sand. I am from visiting every summer, this place I call home. I am from two languages, rolling off the tongue like butter. I am from a rich culture, one where there are parties around every corner. I am from there, the place I call home. 

I am from a copious family. One where I didn't know my father had brothers, or that my mother had relatives. One where there is a multitudinous of people to count. I am from coming home for a family gathering and wondering who all these people are. Considering, who are they?  I am from the know-it-alls and the athletes. I am from those annoying siblings everybody has, but still loves. I am from my kindred.

I am from grand dreams. Not the ones I have every night, but the ones I wish to become a reality. I am from my dreams of travelling the world and that map that's still hanging in my room telling me where I've been. I am from wanting to have a busy schedule; more than one job, and plenty of goals. I am from being conflicted on what I wish to be. From a dancer to a therapist, a clothes designer, a doctor, and back again. I am from reading, or gathering inspiration to pursue my career goal as an author.

I am from lugubrious times. Those moments when you just don't know what you ever did to this world you live in. From wishing to forget about life, regrets, obstacles, and self-doubt. I am from lying on my bed, sobs wracking my body just due to the fact that they can. Just because they know I don't like feeling helpless. I am from the stress. The one where you have to pull all-nighters because you had a busy schedule and don't want to disappoint. The one where you wonder who you would be letting down if you just gave up. I am from all that makes us suffer in the world. I am from fighting to stay above water and always surviving. From fighting and surviving, because I can do both.

I'm from plentiful plates of rice and chicken. Soup too. I am from barbeques and parties. From pork and burgers. I am from movie nights where you can hear the 'pop' of the kernels from the microwave. The delicious foods being consumed by me, making my mouth water. The drinks too. I am from water and Sprite. Lemonade and hot chocolate. I am from tacos, with not abounding toppings, but still marvelous. I am from the things I consume. The food and drink I was taught to love at such a young age.

I am from the vibrations reverberating through my skull and in my ears. The sounds of the perfect melody. The excitement that goes through my body as I hear my favorite song on the radio. From the ridiculous dancing to the blasting of my favorite tunes I am only courageous enough to do in front of friends.

  I am from the feeling of my cleats digging into the ground. From the ball between my feet. From the running that causes my heart to go: 'thump, thump.' I'm from a team. A team that played right alongside me. I am from "No elephant feet, ladies." From the
thrill of watching the audience in the stands, looking around to recognise their friend or family member dancing gracefully. I am from searching to know if my friends and family are in the crowds, having come to catch sight of me.

I am from looking at this world in a different way than anybody else can. I'm from creating a life that suits me. The one I'm not always content with, but also the one with the chances and opportunities that will surely help me go far. From leaving that beautiful place I called home to starting a new one right here.                                                      

This one isn't too great.

- ɪɪғᴀɴғɪᴄғᴀɴᴀᴛɪᴄɪɪ