Obsessions

I'm sure you know where I'm going with this one...

My mom just doesn't understand obsessions. I'll admit, I'm completely obsessed with Harry Potter. It is a huge part of my life and I don't think I could live without Harry Potter.
If my word can't convince you, I'll show you something that will. When I was typing the word with I made a typo and my little word recommendation bar thingy automatically thought of Wolfstar. (WHICH I DO NOT SHIP BTW)

Anyways I was telling my mother about how I had memorized the beginning of the Professor Severus Snape song and she got all sassy with me

She said: Why don't you spend the time you spend memorizing all these things on homework?
And I was like: I don't try to memorize them, they're just stuck in my head.

But I couldn't tell her that because she cut me off when I said "I don't think you understand.—"

"—You're obsessed."

"Well, yes. But that's not what I'm trying to say—"

"You're obsessed but you won't get anything out of it. It's not like you can study Harry Potter at college."

If there has ever been a time where I ever felt truly angry at my mother, it was that.

So of course, I responded with:
"It brings me happiness. And that is more than enough."

It was true. I honestly don't know if anything in my life right now makes me as happy as obsessing over Harry Potter.

My mom basically scoffed and then said, "Obsessions are not healthy."

So, me being the smart a(lec) that I am, I said, "No. Probably not."

I don't know how she took that, but I finally told her about how the song is always stuck in my head so I remember them.

Fair Warning here:
If you ever meet a fangirl and you aren't one, do not tell them their obsession is ridiculous.
Honestly, it makes me so angry when people do it.
I just feel like smacking them, because, while Harry Potter might be fictional, you are very real. If I hit you, it'll hurt.

IT JUST MAKES ME SO ANGRY!!
Like, you have no right to tell me it's useless because it's my life.
I love the Harry Potter universe and I honestly couldn't imagine my life without it. I have cried over fictional characters more than I have cried over any real person, so tell me that my opinions don't matter is like asking to be slapped.

It's a way of life, not a fictional universe.

Can you guys relate? Have you had any encounters where people told you your fandom was ridiculous? How did you react?

- ᴀɴ ᴀɴɢʀʏ ɪɪғᴀɴғɪᴄғᴀɴᴛɪᴄɪɪ