Chapter 5: Solitude

Chapter 5: Solitude

Alwyn’s P.O.V.

I got out of the car and gazed up to the castle in front of me. It was neither a fairy tale castle nor a haunted one, nor did it have a tranquil feeling over it. It most of all looked mysterious and empty, it felt cold.

Goozebumps formed on my arms and I pulled my coat tighter around me, it had been cold back home, everything had been covered in snow, but here, even without the snow, the cold felt stronger. I turned around to look at Níall, he was parking the car, or at least he attempted to, before he could actually do as planned, a man appeared out of nowhere and took over.

“Who was that?” I asked him, moving my head towards the car.

“Someone who lives here.” He told me simply.

“So we’re not the only ones?” I asked feeling a little better, I might find someone to talk to, a female perhaps.

“No, a king can’t go without servants. Nor can his queen.” He said with a meaningful look towards me.

“I’m not your queen.” I told him fierce.

“As far as they’re concerned you are, and you shall be, eventually, but we’ve got more than enough time.” He said and walked to the giant front doors, one of which opened slowly to let us enter.

I kept standing there, not sure if I wanted to stay here, in protest, or go inside and ignore him there while warm. The first would hurt him more, but it would also hurt me, and with the servant roaming around, standing outside was probably not a permanent option for they were much stronger and could carry me inside easily like Níall had done at the airport.

Just as Níall turned around to see if I followed, I moved forward, looking at my shoes to show him I didn’t want to. He waited until I stood next to him before he continued walking, to my shock and dismay he put an arm around my shoulders. I tried shaking it off but his arm wouldn’t budge. I shot him a glare.

If he wanted me to be kind and get used to him, he’d better not push his luck.

“Would you mind?” I asked him. He turned his face towards me and the look in his eyes made my heart waver, I felt sorry for him and regretted my words instantly.

“They don’t know you don’t love me… they think you are my fiancé…” He whispered softly and I then realized I didn’t feel sorry at all. I felt my face grow red, not because I was embarrassed, but because I was furious.

“Ho-“ I started yelling at him but wasn’t even able to speak the first word before a hand covered my mouth and dragged me inside. As we came through the doors, I felt warmth greet me, I saw fires burning in the corner of my eye as we passed them. I also saw many people, non of them were of the female gender.

He took me through the giant entrance I would really enjoy looking another time and went up the staircase.

After that everything seemed like a maze, he turned corners went through doors and I soon lost track of where we were completely. The only rooms that caught my eye were a library and a tv room. The room where we ended up had double, dark wooden doors, he opened one of them got us inside and locked the doors behind us, making me feel uncomfortable.

“Here we can talk freely, but first what do you think of your room?”

“I don’t care about my room!” I yelled, taking the talk freely maybe a bit to serious.

“I guess I could’ve seen that coming…” He said, the sad look back on his face, making my heart waver once more. it then struck me, the reason I felt sorry for him every now and then was because of what my heart wanted, not my brain. I just needed to get control of my heart.