Chapter 2: Where is she?!

Haydon’s P.O.V.

I drove away from her house with a slightly awkward feeling, something had been off and I was sure it had nothing to do with her SAT’s, she had always been a bit distant, she was scared of overworking herself and with that injuring her donor heart, and I respected that, but today, she had seemed far away, sometimes her eyes had been full of tears and her smiles never reached her eyes. I had to fight against the urge to go back and take her in my arms, I wanted her to confine in me, trust me, but I knew I couldn’t make her, there was a part of her that always seemed distant, a part of her that didn’t want me near. I feared it was the donor heart, it was the only part of her that wasn’t truly my mate’s, it had belonged to another. Had possibly loved another.

Every day I fought the fear of her heart convincing her we shouldn’t be together, she was my mate, but her heart and mind seemed two completely different people.

I stopped my car at the side of the road, I knew I shouldn’t be driving when I was upset. I sat down on the hood and looked at the deserted roads. The only thinbg passing me was a cab, I looked at it as it passed me. In it sat a woman with hair like Alwyn’s. Oh how I loved her beautiful red hair, her stormy blue eyes and slight freckles. The cab disappeared out of my sight but I kept looking at the direction it had gone to, I then turned my head to where I had come from. should I go back? Sneak through her window and just hold her?

She wouldn’t want me to.

I got back into my car and drove home where I was greeted by my pack. They had been waiting for me. I had planned to propose to Alwyn tonight, but because she had seemed so distant, I hadn’t dared to do so, the ring felt like a heavy weight in my pocket. I reached in to take it but apart from a ring, I also pulled out a necklace. Alwyn’s necklace.

‘For My Angel Alwyn, From Haydon’ unmistakably mine. I stared at it, many feelings rushed through me, sadness, confusion, wonder, pain and love. Why had it been in my pocket? Had she put it there? Why? I felt myself shake and ran out the door. I changed midair, leaving the necklace and my clothes –in shreds- on the porch. I ran the 10 miles to her house and howled. The light in her bedroom was on, she was home. I walked towards the house and listened. I heard soft sobs and whispers but I couldn’t make out what they were saying. There was one thing I knew for sure, Alwyn wasn’t there. I ran to the front, her car, her so beloved car was in the driveway. I was now sure there had been nothing wrong with the car.

There was something wrong with Alwyn.

I ran back home and changed as I stormed though the door –which I broke into pieces while doing so- I ran to my room, naked as the day I was born, and searched for my phone. I pressed 1 which caused the phone to call Alwyn instantly. My hands were shaking as the phone rang.

“The number you have called does not exist please dial another number.” I threw the phone out of the window.

“No, no no no, NO! this cannot be, I was just with her whe-“ I suddenly remembered the cab, the woman with the red hair.

I had seen her go and hadn’t realized it had been her, I had let her go. I screamed with anger, I threw my desk chair through my room, I smashed everything I could find, but while doing so, made sure no memories of Alwyn were damaged.

“Alwyn, Alwyn, Alwyn…” I cried as I sank to my knees.

My mate was gone.

I didn’t know how much time had passed since I had found the necklace, but it must have been a long time, because when my mother came to my room to bring me some food, the sun was already rising.