Chapter Nine

The doctor in emergency was carefully assessing the x-rays.

"I'm afraid it is fractured. See that hairline crack there. You're going to need to wear a plaster cast and stay off the leg for at least three months."

"Three months! I can't just sit around for three months. I have plans. I'm leaving for overseas in a month and a half."

"Not on my watch your not. The alternative is surgery but in your case I recommend a more traditional method. Surgery is not without risks. You're a healthy, young girl. I see no reason why your ankle won't be healed in time with proper care and rest."

I turned over on the hospital bed and resigned to my fate. I could see no point in arguing further. I had to accept that my plans needed to be postponed.

Jordan had been fantastic. He called Brittany and Zac from the car and calmed them down when they went into panic mode. They blamed themselves. He had assured them it was purely an accident. That playtime had gotten a little out of control but that the kids were fine. They said they would rush home with Kai and Ronnie and relieve Brandon so he could come to the hospital. I felt tears sliding down my face. This wasn't how I imagined my last months here. I wasn't sure on what I was planning to do. I was useless to Brittany and Zac now. I couldn't impose on their hospitality if I wasn't working for them anymore. The new Nanny was scheduled to start in a few days. Jordan and Zac were leaving in a month for their respective trips. I could have gone home to my parents but it was so far away and I wasn't sure I was looking forward to the long journey home. It just seemed utterly hopeless. I tried to stop the tears but they refused.

"Hey Izzy. Don't cry. I'm here for you."

Jordan touched my cheek and kissed me softly. It felt so comforting. So familiar. I found myself responding to his kiss. I forgot about the pain and hurt and sorrow and lost myself in the healing power of his kiss.

He pulled away and suddenly I felt ashamed. He was just being friendly and here I was forcing myself on him. If I could run away I would have but I couldn't so I just looked at the wall and prayed that he wouldn't talk about it.

"Izzy. I'm sorry this happened to you but it's not the end of the world. Listen to the doctor. You'll be back to normal in three months. Then you can start your trip then."

"Yup. I know. I'm just thinking."

Secretly I was relieved that he chose to ignore my reaction to his kiss. We could just carry on like nothing happened. We were still waiting for the nurse to return from the supply room with the bandages to make the plaster cast so I lay back and settled back into the pillow and closed my eyes.

I felt Jordan take me hands in his. I quickly opened my eyes.

"Izzy. I know I stuffed up the first time. I know I apologised and we became friends again but I can't help but feel that if there is a tiny part of you that still has feelings for me then I'm going to fight for you. I let you go once. I'm not going to do it again. Just tell me I'm wrong, that you don't feel the same way as me and I'll leave you alone but if you say yes then I'll do everything in my power to make it right."

"Jordan I..." I started to touch his face when I heard the sound of footsteps coming in from the entrance of the door. Brandon walked in with a concerned look on his face. I quickly withdrew my hand and lay back on the pillow.

"Britt and Zac are really worried about you. Kids are ok. Kai and Ronnie took Madison home. I tried to clean up the living room as much as I could but it was still pretty messy. Umm Izzy. I'm sorry this happened to you. We were just being stupid and now here you are with a fractured ankle. Jord told me about having to postpone your travel plans. I just wish I could make it better."

Brandon looked really upset. I wanted to say something to make it better but I was feeling a bit annoyed that he had interrupted my moment with Jordan. My patience was running thin and I snapped a little.

"Well what's done is done. You guys go off on your adventures. Don't worry about me. I'll just cope on my own. Just send me a message once in a while just to let me know you are still alive."

"Izzy..." Brandon started to talk but interrupted him.

"Can you both leave the room please. I just need a minute by myself."

The nurse had returned with the bandages and had started applying them. I didn't want them to see me like this. I felt vulnerable and I didn't like it.

"Sure thing. We'll wait outside then."

After my leg had been safely encased in plaster, Jordan and Brandon took me back to Zac and Brittany's house. As soon as I hobbled through the door on my newly acquired crutches, Brittany and Zac jumped up from the sofa and quickly helped me inside.

"Omg Izzy we're so sorry. Are you ok? Zac will give you a hand to get upstairs. We felt you'd be more comfortable if you slept in your own bed tonight rather than down here."

I smiled at them gratefully. I knew I was a burden to them now and I knew I needed to make some decisions on what I was going to do next. For now though I was tired. Today had been a stressful day, fracture not included and I needed sleep. I would deal with things in the morning.

"Oh and don't think you'll be running away from us too easily. We had a discussion with the kids. You're staying right here with us until you recover. We are due to move into the new house next week. There's a guest room located on the first floor that has your name written all over it. You're family now and family stick together."

Tears of joy started falling. If I could leap I would have. All I did however was hug Zac and Brittany.

"Hey. We want in too." Jordan and Brandon came over and we all hugged. I was wanted and loved and I'd never felt better.