Chapter 2: Words of Truth

The sun had already sunk below the horizon by the time the people started to make their way back into the city to continue their celebrations in one of the taverns and inns. Together with several others, Owen and Elora walked in the other direction.

Just outside Cahir, on the large fields surrounding the city, a circus had been set up. It wasn't anything special, but considering the silence of the Farmlands Elora was used to, this was a welcomed change.

"There are Sorcha and Mia," Owen said, pointing at the two dark-haired girls just beside the entrance. His sisters didn't wear anything special--the same simple farmer's dress that Elora wore--but still, with their dark eyes, perfect curls, and tanned skin, they looked more radiant than Elora would ever be.

Owen quickly walked over to them, leaving her no choice but to do the same. He asked his sisters about the Firebreathers' show and for several minutes that was all they talked about.

"I'd like to see the rest of the circus," Mia eventually said, turning away from them and looking out onto the large field. More and more people were walking around and soon it almost felt as crowded as it had in the city. "They say it's the biggest in over twenty years."

"I heard there is even a real Seer this year," Owen added, sharing the excitement that flashed through his sister's eyes.

"Don't be a fool," Sorcha said. "There are no more Seers, except those in the Great Houses. And they are not foolish enough to come here."

"Well, that's what father said. It can't hurt to look, can it?"

Sorcha sighed, agreeing with him reluctantly. "Fine, but don't come crying to me when that hag fills your head with lies."

Elora smiled, hearing them bicker back and forth. She didn't have any siblings herself, but Owen's family had always felt like her own. When Mia looped her arm through hers, she savored the feeling of Mia's warmth against her own and the sounds of Owen and Sorcha fighting over nothing.

They all walked over the large field together, marveling at the animal pens with large bears, beautiful horses, and strange looking birds. Acrobats were showing their skills on the other side of them, while jugglers and jesters ran around pestering people, trying to get them to part with their hard earned coins. Elora let her gaze pass all of it, taking in the fun and joy and laughter around her.

She didn't particularly care about the circus itself, but she enjoyed the smiles it brought on her friends' faces. Owen would talk about it for weeks to come, while Sorcha would say it had been even more boring than the year before, even though her eyes would gleam with excitement.

They had already been on the circus field for over an hour--Owen stopping at every stall to try one of the games that had been laid out, or watch one of the many performances--when they reached a small hut. It was nothing more than a large piece of fabric thrown over several support beams, but still, it had something mysterious about it. Naturally, Owen was drawn to it like a moth to a flame.

"This must be the Seer's hut," he said excitedly, dragging Elora with him as he approached the entrance.

"The charlatan's hut, you mean," Sorcha chuckled. "You're not really spending your coins on that witch, are you?"

"Even if she is not a real Seer, I still want to know what she has to say. Elora, are you coming?"

Sorcha huffed out an annoyed breath and shrugged her shoulders, while Elora was torn between the knowledge she had of Magic--from the stories her father had told her--and the curiosity that spilled into her mind and flowed through her veins. Before she had any time to make a decision, Owen had already pulled her along as he pushed aside the fabric.