Chapter 9

Upstate New York, Summer 5 Years Ago

"God damn it!" Lauren yelled, getting out of the car. She popped the hood and made her way over to the engine. "Piece of junk!" She kicked the tire angrily and tried to wave the smoke away. Camila stayed in the car, her arms folded.

"Damn it, damn it, damn it!" Lauren wasn't even sure what she was looking for in all the cables and metal. Nothing was on fire but there was the horrible smell of gas. Camila watched as she fumbled with her cellphone.

"Seriously? Seriously, you have got to be kidding me. My battery's dead." She tossed the phone back into the car. "Camz, let me use yours."

"Mine is dead too." Camila replied coldly. Lauren groaned and flopped down against the car.

"Stupid..." She muttered. Camila got out of the passenger seat and took a look at the parts.

"It looks like one of the cables exploded, possibly your fuel line too." Camila explained. Lauren looked up at her in surprise.

"Where did that come from?"

"When Cece and I were dating, she would take forever to put on makeup so her dad showed me how to fix up cars in the meantime." Camila replied. Lauren scoffed at the thought.

"You and Cece did not date." She sneered.

"Yeah we did. Remember?" Camila insisted.

"Camz, you were there to make Cece's crush jealous. You know that she was only fake dating you right?"

"Well, at least she fake dated me instead of not dating me at all." Camila shot back. Lauren winced and stood up. Camila started marching up the street back the way they came.

"Camz, where are you going?" Lauren demanded.

"I'm going to that motel we saw earlier."

"Camz, that was at least ten miles back!" The girl ignored her and kept walking. Lauren stuck her hands in her pockets and followed Camila in silence. They reached the motel sometime around ten. It was in horrible disrepair. The neon sign had a few lights missing, the paint on the side of the walls were chipping and the window AC units rattle horribly. Lauren felt like it couldn't be sanitary to sleep there.

"Camz, we might catch some horrible disease here." She warned but Camila had already walked in. Lauren chased after her.

"Hi." Camila said to the boy at the front desk. She flashed him a bright smile. "Do you have any rooms open?" The boy had to be no more than 16 and from the looks of his acne covered face, was just in the throes of puberty. He couldn't help but stare at the beautiful girl standing in front of him.

"Uh...sure." He replied dumbly, glancing from Camila's chest to her face. Lauren fought the urge to sock him in the jaw.

"Can we get a room? Separate beds, please." So Camila wasn't going to insist on separate rooms but they certainly weren't sleeping together.

"Do you know if there's an auto mechanic around here?" Camila asked. The boy thought about the question.

"Well, there is one but he's an hour away. Did your car break down?"

"Yeah, about ten miles down the road." Lauren cut in. The boy thought again.

"Well, if you want, I can call my uncle. He only lives about half an hour away and he knows a little bit about cars. I can call him tomorrow morning if you want." Camila smiled at him again and he turned bright red.

"Thanks! You're sweet." Camila said. The boy took down Camila's information, even going the extra step to ask for her phone number despite the fact that her phone was dead. Camila gave it to him and Lauren gave him a death glare. He smiled nervously at Lauren and handed the keys over. Camila snatched them from the counter and walked swiftly up the stairs.