Chapter 28:

The main members of Skyfall, plus Malcom, celebrated at the Amber Gardens. They gathered around a large patio table, glad to be out of hiding. The atmosphere was jovial as everyone talked and laughed.

"What's wrong, Marcus?" Connor asked.

He stood at the edge of the patio, looking out at the city.

"It's nothing." He replied.

"You're worried about Katana." Mahlika said. "We all are."

"We'll have time to worry about her later." Leela said. "Now that Xavier Cane is dead and Master Kontrol is being dismantled, we'll be able to focus entirely on curing her. And Falcom, of course."

Their lunch arrived.

"Where's Rory today?" Nikara asked.

"Working on that machine we seized from the Tokyo lab." Malcom replied. "Hopefully we'll be able to get it working and send you home, Jason."

"I'd appreciate it." Jason said. "I mean, it's been fun, but I miss my family. And no offense, but the future is a little bit too much for me."

Nikara nodded. "I'm not surprised. I do wish you were staying with us longer. You're becoming a good agent."

His face reddened at her praise.

"Thank you." He said.

"So how does the machine work?" Camron asked.

"It uses a rare element called Kronium." Technos replied. "When exposed to ultraviolet light, it can affect the flow of time. It was also used in the Skyfall Device."

"What ever happened to that thing?" Weska asked. "Was it really just a rumor designed to lead us into that trap?"

"No." Sasaki replied. "It was real. But I think Cane decided he wasn't crazy enough to use it."

Marcus looked up. "I'm sorry, but I think we're letting down our guard too soon. Xavia and Falcom killed Cane for a reason."

"We don't know that." Nikara said. "It could be that Dolly killed him, as the official reports say."

"Does anyone really believe that? What exactly are Xavia and Falcom doing right now? Why hasn't anyone seen them since Cane died? It's been four days."

"Probably hiding on a beach somewhere where the Prime Order won't find them." Connor said. "They probably ran before their assets were frozen and they were arrested. It's not really that strange."

There was a commotion in the restaurant behind. A moment later Morgana rushed out onto the patio, clothes torn and dirty, hair disheveled.

"Came to warn you." She gasped before falling to the floor.

A waiter came out after her.

"I'm sorry." He said. "I know you weren't supposed to be disturbed, but she ran past me."

"It's alright." Malcom replied, picking her up.

He set her down in a chair and checked her pulse. Seconds later she opened her eyes.

"My shoes." She said. "I lost my shoes. I had them custom made."

"Don't worry about that." Malcom said, offering her a glass of water. "What happened?"

"They killed Cane." Morgana replied.

"Who?"

"Xavia and Falcom. After that I had to run. I couldn't stay around them any longer. You've got to stop them."