The Project Begins

The sun illuminates his golden hair. The shadows dance over his thin arms. The blue of his eyes blooms against the pale skin of his face. Bright clothes clinging to his tall frame. Surrounded by blues, yellows, and greens, Mason was the subject of the first film Liam was creating.

Liam was the quintessential nerd; his glasses rest on the bridge of his nose but they didn't lay straight. His white button-up shirt was always tucked into his black jeans with his red suspenders slung over his pale, thin shoulders. If you got to know him (which rarely happened) he could be really talkative.

The two couldn't be more different. Mr. Gloria knew that; that is why he paired them. Trying to get the most popular kid in school and the lonely nerd to hold a conversation, much less get along, was going to be difficult, no doubt, but he was determined.

The two got paired together for an English project. Liam was to direct and Mason was to be filmed. The project was to examine someone that had a seemingly perfect life and see all the issues. At least, that's what Liam understood the project as. The actual assignment was to spend a day with someone you know little about and find out about their life. This made little sense to both of them but they needed to get a near perfect score.

Liam was close to failing the eleventh grade and so was Mason. 'I'll put up with him just for this week. But nothing other than that.' the youngest thought as they moved to sit near each other.Liam's breath quickened as Mason's hand touched his own. The skin was cold and soft. As soon as contact was made, Mason pulled his hand away again.

"So... What do you normally do in a day?" Liam asked as he pulled out his note sheet. He didn't really care but he had to ask.

"What's it to y-" Mason sighed. "Talk to people, football practice, watch the band dorks, you get it."

In all honesty, Liam didn't, but he couldn't say that. It wouldn't be right. So he just nodded and wrote it down. "Diet?"

"Mostly chicken or avocado salads." He shrugs. Mason didn't really like talking to this random guy who knew nothing about him. Liam could do anything with what he was telling him.

"Good..." Liam wrote it down. "How do you make the chicken?" He looked up for the first time that class. Mason looked even better close up.. No. He can't think like this. He would just ignore it... Could he?

Looking into the hazelnut brown eyes of his partner, Mason felt something; something he shouldn't. What did he want to know this stranger; why did he need to know? No. No, this wasn't right. He couldn't feel this way. He was the most popular guy in school. He shook out of his thought and answered the question. "Normally I don't. My friend brings me it."

'Doesn't make his own food; uses others' Liam mentally wrote. "How does your friend prepare it?" His question was greeted with a shrug. "Do you know anything?" He spat out before he could process the thought. "W- that's not what I meant." He quickly said, trying to fix his mistake.

Mason chuckled. "I get it." He said placing his hand on Liam's. "Don't worry."

Liam pulled his hand away. "Thanks."

Mason nodded, his hair bouncing around his tanned face. "So we should probably start filming this soon. As long as that's okay with you."

"Of course. So my place?" Even though he didn't want someone he knew nothing about in his house, it was the assignment; the assignment they both needed to get a good grade on.

"Y-yeah I guess.." Liam stuttered, biting his bottom lip.

"Don't be nervous. It's not like I'm going to kill you or anything." His words were kind but humorous.

"I don't know anything for sure. So are we going or not?" Once Mason looked up again, Liam was towering above the table and waiting for Mason to lead the way.

"I guess we are." Mason said and gathered his belongings just as the bell rang, signalling the end of the school day.

Once at Mason's locker, Liam had already started filming. "Do you have to film everything?" Mason asked, putting in the combination of the rickety green metal.

"If you want to get a good grade." He nods, the camera moving with his head.

"Seems a bit excessive if you ask me." Mason said as he pulled out his bag.

"I didn't. Now hurry up so we can go."

"Just waiting for you, dork." Mason chuckled and started walking again.

"Shut up, jerk." Liam scrambled after him, his legs a good bit shorter than his subject's.

"You love me." He turned around as he walked; people moved right out of their way and got back into their groups on the other side.

"Do I though?" A smile formed on his thin lips.

"Well, that..." Mason slowed down but didn't stop walking. "I'm not sure of. Do you?"

"Maybe." He said, not sure if Mason heard him or not, but he did; clear as day.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So that was the first little bit. I wrote it as a portfolio piece and I ended up really liking how it turned out so now it's here. My updates will not be scheduled but I'm going to try to not post once every year. ^-^