interruption

song for this chapter : Place For Us by Mikky Ekko

I walk these streets alone. At 2 a.m., London is a pretty dead city. An occasional cab will drive by, but I'm alone all the same. It was one of those nights (or rather mornings) where both my mind and my feet wandered aimlessly, not sure of a certain destination. I brought my hands up to my lips, breathing warm air onto them from my mouth. I forgot my mittens at my flat, of course. I tugged my beanie farther onto my head full of hair and clutched my coat closer to my petite frame.

The world is an unforgiving place to a university dropout. Uni just wasn't my thing. My heart was elsewhere. My art, writing, and music came first to me. The only jobs I seemed to be eligible for without a proper degree was the cashier at a dinky movie rental place, or a barista at a hole-in-the-wall coffee shop. My choice was obvious. So a barista at "the Brew" is what I became. 

I decided that is where I should go now. No other place on this side of London is open this late into the morning. Plus, I've got the spare keys anyway. My feet carried me the whole way there, only stumbling once or twice. To my utter surprise, the cafe was dark, with no signs of life inside. Ed, the owner and my dear friend, wouldn't mind if I opened up the place. I hope. 

I fished for my set of keys inside my bottomless purse. I sighed in relief when I heard the muffled jingle and familiar ridges of the cafe keys. I opened the door, fliced on the lights, and turned on the heater in a feeble attempt to defrost my frozen body. 

I sat, perched behind the wooden counter drinking steaming coffee and writing in my journal. These are the moments I live for. The quiet hum of the espresso machine, the light scratching from my pencil hitting the paper, the occasional flash of lights from the cabs driving by. I welcomed the silence. 

My thoughts were interrupted when I heard the little tinkle of the bell above the front door. I felt the initial "whoosh" of a bitter wind entering the shop from the door being pulled open. I lifted my head slightly, wondering who was out so late. Well, as late as I was. 

+++

end of chapter numero uno! yaaaAASSS. *whew* tell me whatcha think. 

xx autreee