dark roast.

song for this chapter: This by Ed Sheeran

My eyes were met with two huge orbs of light brown with small flecks of green in them. That was the first thing I noticed about this stranger. I watched the way he effortlessly shrugged his heavy coat off his broad shoulders. He brought his large hands up to his dark black hair, with deep purple strands here and there, and ruffled it slightly, in an attempt to fix the damage done by the brisk wind. 

He saw me staring at him, which made my cheeks flush a deep red. Damnit, I thought to myself. He smiled a crooked and knowing smile. He waltzed over to the counter and with a gravelly voice ordered a dark roast coffee. 

"Dark roast, this late?" I asked in my petty attempt at small talk. 

"Desperate times call for desperate measures, right?" he retorted. 

"Rough night?" 

"You could say that..." he mumbled, while letting out a small chuckle. I studied the way his full pink lips curled over his teeth, producing two dimples on either side of his dazzling smile. I smiled back meekly, trying to remain standing even though my knees were wobbling like a stool on one leg. 

I turned my back to this stranger, making him his coffee behind the counter. "I wasn't sure I could find a place that was open this late. Or early," he muttered. "I'm Michael, by the way. Should have introduced myself sooner," he said with a chuckle. 

"Amelia,' I sighed as I put my hand out so he could shake it. A quizzical look flashed across his soft features, but was replaced with wonder in an instant. 

"Amelia," Michael repeated, "pleasure to meet you." I grinned in response, almost speechless by the way my name flowed off his tongue effortlessly. "If you don't mind me asking, why are you awake at 2 a.m? London isn't very kind to pretty girls like you." 

I tried not to giggle like a school girl when he called me pretty. Keep it together, Amelia. Conceal, don't feel. 'I'm not sure, honestly. I was just walking with no purpose, so I decided to come to the shop and give people a warm place to stop," I explained," but I wasn't sure anyone would actually come in." There was a look about him that I couldn't quite place. I didn't want to drive Michael away. I hate to admit it, but I found him intriguing. 

+++

amelia and michael, sitting in a tree, k-i-s-s-i-n-g

ahhhhh! read on, my friends. 

xx autreee