Chapter Twenty-Seven - Appalling Virulence

"God knows where this Nannav is! Why can't he understand that by doing all this he will only end up deteriorating everything? Everyone is already worried and crying for Khushiji and now he has gone missing too! Where are you Nannav? Just pick up the phone!"

NK muttered to himself  while trying Arnav's number again and again - his fret growing with every call that went unanswered.

"Dammit Arnav!" He punched in air as another ring went unattended. His hands racked through his hair and gripped the back of his head as he resumed his walk in the corridor to reach downstairs - his fingers working on the phone screen to dial his number one last time.

"What the hell! How can you do that?"

A loud shrill made him stop in his tracks and look in the direction of Sheetal's room. 

He frowned. What happened to her now?

Thinking she might be in some sort of problem or pain due to her fresh injuries, NK kept his phone in his pocket and approached the room with the intention of being of some help. He halted near the door, looking at Sheetal who was pressing her forehead while taking deep breaths to calm herself.

"We had a deal that I will give you one lakh rupees and you will do my work without any further delay or questions! Then why the hell are you asking for more money now?" 

Her exasperated voice and confounding words deepened the lines marring his forehead and he shut his mouth, wanting to hear the complete conversation so he could know the cause for her distress - which he doubted she will tell him herself. 

"Look madam, I agree that the deal was of one lakh but please try to understand. I can't do this alone! I will have to involve more constables in this task! ASR is pressurizing us a lot and in such a situation, doing this is like teasing a wounded lion! So, the payment should be high!" The Constable countered, and looked at some of his accomplices who were waiting for the good news of getting money.

"I simply asked you not to investigate in any hospital for Khushi because that task was given to you specifically. I didn't say to involve the entire search team! Let them search for her in the valley, I don't care. So what other people do you need to involve in this?" She gritted, infuriated by the demands of this constable on top of the disappearance of Arnav - her words meanwhile widening the eyes of the bystander. 

NK's heart leapt for a second, and he stared at Sheetal incredulously for the words she just spoke - his brain not understanding the implications of any of it. 

Simultaneously, the constable chuckled on the other hand.

"Madam, are you actually this dumb?" 

Sheetal's anger peaked. "What do you mean?"

"What I mean is that I was given the responsibility of checking in the hospitals for Khushi and that meant that I had to supervise over the several other constables who will search in different hospitals. There are many hospitals in Delhi so obviously, the inspector won't send solely me for the search! There are many other people with me and they are ready to obey your orders but, only if you agree to obey their demands first." The constable said with a smirk. His hands already itching to grab the money.

Sheetal pinched the bridge of her nose and inhaled sharply then exhaled slowly as her injured head thumped.

"Fine." She at last relented. "You will get your money but beware, if anyone finds Khushi, you are gone." She warned and as the line went dead, flung her phone on the bed in pure indignation.