Hurtful Confessions

Shayne

    After Dakota decided she wanted to find her real family, she was determined to find out as soon as possible. That morning, Dakota and I had set out early to beat the traffic, but she had to say goodbye to my family first.

"Are you sure you want to do this?" Xian asked as he hugged Dakota for the fiftieth time. I put our bags in the trunk and shut it, turning towards Dakota and my family.

"Yes, I'm sure." Dakota petted his head and Xian pouted, fixing his hair back the way it was. Dakota had given everyone a hug, even Gabriel accepted her, and he did not like being touched at all. Mom was the last to give Dakota a hug. The two women hugged for what seemed like forever. I glanced at my wristwatch, and it had just turned 8:30AM.

"Go find your answer, honey. And remember if anything goes bad, you have family here now." Mom smiled. Dakota nodded and walked towards me, a few unshed tears in her eyes. I wiped them away and opened her door for her. She got in the car, and I closed the door behind her. My parents and siblings wished us luck and I drove onto the main road and then headed towards the highway.

   A few hours passed and every now and then when I would glance at Dakota, I would notice that she would fidget with her hands. I grabbed her hand in mine and held onto it. She immediately relaxed and let out a deep breath. I hated how her life started for her and all the things she had to go through. If I could take her pain away I would, but I did not possess that ability. I hated that she had to see those awful people again, but she wanted the truth, and I was not going to stop her from getting it. The only thing I could do for Dakota was be there for her and be a safe space for her.

"It's going to be okay." I whispered glancing at her for only a second before turning my attention back to the road. She glanced at me and sighed, nodding and turning her attention back out the window.

"No, it won't." She mumbled.

   After driving for fourteen hours, we had finally arrived in Idaho. We checked into a hotel and got comfortable in our room. There were two beds so things wouldn't be so awkward for us. Dakota walked into the bathroom, took a quick shower and walked back into the room dressed in shorts and a t-shirt. She pulled the covers back on her bed and got comfortable, and before long she was asleep.

I smiled and took a shower as well. I walked back into the room and turned out the light and got comfortable in my bed.

"Shayne." Dakota's voice was thick with sleep, but it still made my heartbeat faster.

"Yeah?" I glanced at her from my side of the room and realized that she had turned on her other side to face me. Her eyes were halfway open.

"Could you sleep with me, please."

    Dakota was wide awake now, watching me contemplate whether or not that was a good idea. "Please." Dakota asked again, moving the covers on her bed back and patted the empty space. I sighed and climbed out of my bed and into hers. Once we were comfortable, me lying on my side with my left arm supporting Dakota's head, and Dakota lying facing me, I watched her sleep for a little while. Her breathing was so quiet I had to check to see if she was still breathing. I kissed her forehead and whispered a goodnight before I finally shut my eyes and welcomed sleep.

   The next morning at 10AM, Dakota and I were on the road again headed to Idaho State Prison for Women. Thirty minutes later, we pulled up to the building and Dakota and I stepped out of the car. She glanced at me, and I nodded and the both of us walked into the building. Three steps into the building and I noticed that Dakota was still by the door. Walking towards her, I grabbed her chin and gently lifted her face up to me.