Obvious Attraction

Shayne
1 Week Later

I was sitting in my office looking over some files about the murder case and trying to put the pieces together. I wanted Dakota here to help me, but I allowed her to stay home today to give her some space. I didn't want to seem like a love crazed creep. I glanced at the clock and sighed. It was only a quarter to five when Bethany walked in with a smile on her face.

"So, my theory about was correct. You do like Dakota." I stared up at my sister for a second before I went back to work. "Usually this is where you say that I was right and then I do a victory dance." Bethany folded her arms over her chest and waited patiently. I sighed and continued to work.

"Okay, what's the matter with you?" Bethany asked, sitting on my desk and faced me. I threw the files onto my desk and gave her my full attention. I ran my fingers through my hair in pure frustration. "I just want to get to know her, but for whatever reason she rejected me." 

Bethany nodded and I groaned. "I like her, I really do but how do I get her to see that?" I asked. 

"Be patient with her. It could be something psychological going on with her. Plus, maybe she didn't expect her boss to ask her out so soon or maybe at all. Slow down Shayne. You may be moving too fast for her, let her warmup to you first." I guess that could be possible, and judging from our first encounter a few days ago, she's been hurt a lot in the past few years of her life, that slap I received proves it.

"Thanks Bethany." I smiled and she nodded. Bethany climbed off my desk and walked out of the room, gently closing the door behind her with a click. I turned to the cabinet behind me and searched for Dakota's file. I found it and looked up her address. After I memorized it, I grabbed my keys and left the office for the day.

****

I drove for ten minutes to reach Dakota's home. Once I pulled up my jaw dropped. This is a house fit for a queen and a queen is what she is. I parked my car and walked up the driveway and up the two steps to the front door. I knocked twice and waited patiently. About two minutes had passed and I knocked again. I heard a door slide shut and then footsteps walking across the floor.

"Who is it?" Dakota called a few feet from the door. 

"Shayne." I answered. Two seconds later the front door opened, and Dakota was standing in front of me dripping wet in a black and white bikini. I cleared my throat and quickly looked away. 

"There you go blushing again." Dakota smiled walking away, leaving the door wide open to me. I guess that was her way of inviting me in. I walked into the house and turned to close the door, but when I turned around again my breath caught in my throat. 

"Wow." I whispered. Dakota had a lot of open space. At the entrance of the house was a small opening, on the left side was a black table with two photos, one was of an elderly woman and the other was an elderly man. Underneath both pictures was a date of birth and a date of death. On the right side was another table was a picture of Dakota and a blonde girl, both wearing caps and gowns and holding college degrees in different subjects. I walked further into the house and on either side of me was a staircase that led to the second floor and a small balcony.  

Walking further into the house I realized I was standing in the living room. To my left was a fireplace and above the fireplace, hanging on the wall was a flat screen tv. Above the tv were two display shelves, one with pictures of different art and the other held two large pictures of Dakota as a baby. In the center of the living room was a creme colored L-shaped sofa with black and creme pillows neatly placed on it, and a small glass table with a bouquet of red and white roses sitting in a vase.