Chapter 14: Royland Versus the Cloaked Man

"Dahk do you ever think back to when you were still a human and wish you'd rather died than met me? That way at least you wouldn't be subject to what you've been turned into, yes your soul is in heaven, but you mind remains conscious within this golem. It is the only way for the golems to be able to take commands from the Gods, but I find it despicable knowing that your mind will be trapped for all eternity within that stone form.", Royland sighed as he sat down and covered his face with his hands, "I wasn't able to save you at all. All I've done is taken hold of your leash and become your new master, but once this mission is complete I swear I will use the promotion to change this cruel method the Gods employ. It's the only reason I accepted the mission in the first place. I'm sorry for not being strong enough to protect you Dahk."

The stone golem could not comprehend what his master had told him, that was just the way the Gods designed the golems, they had no need for golems with emotion. Dahk simply stood there in silence watching Royland.

"Sorry, it isn't fitting of me to be breaking down in front of you, it doesn't benefit either of us. I should probably go check on Giselle, Dahk return to patrol and report any anomalies to me." Royland said as he stood up.

Royland was almost out the room when an immense pressure came crashing down on him along with the smell of blood. Royland turned to Dahk, "Get to Giselle and protect her, whatever is coming is not human, I will face it myself.", both Royland and Dahk dashed off, going their separate ways.

Pulling his hood over his head, Royland made his way outside the castle. He asked the patrolling lesser golems if they saw anything, but none of them had seen a thing. Royland wondered what was coming towards his castle, it was not anything sent by the Gods, he would know if it was. He pondered on this while he kept his guard up. There was no way Garnet had anything this powerful in his arsenal, he would have sensed it immediately when he delivered his message to the 100 Blackbarrow guards.

It became night time, yet nothing showed up. Eventually night time ended and a new vrot begun, the entire time Royland stood outside the castle on full alert. It was only when the immense pressure disappeared that Royland saw something moving in the distance. As it came closer, Royland was able to make out that it was the figure of a cloaked man. What Royland didn't understand was why the immense pressure had just vanished, it was not beyond the realm of possibility that the pressure came from elsewhere and this cloaked man just happened to be making his way to Royland's castle at the same time.

"Dahk, is Giselle okay?" Royland asked Dahk telepathically.

"Woman fine. Still sleep. Dahk wake up?"

Royland was still amazed at the abilities of Dahk. Normally the body used to construct the golem had to have extremely high spiritual energy to be able to use telepathy, "No it's fine, continue to guard her. It seems a guest has arrived.", Royland said to Dahk as he came face to face with the cloaked man.

"I'm looking for a man named Royland." The cloaked man said.

"And exactly what is your business with Royland?" Royland replied, he had decided to practise caution before revealing who he was.

"My masters received a message from the stars. They were told that I would have to seek out a warrior named Royland. You know I sense a great deal of pressure from you, if I am mistaken please forgive me."

Even though Royland was on guard he could not fully stop the blow the cloaked man threw. The man's fist was heavy and packed incredible power, the force was strong enough to send Royland soaring back a couple of feet.

Royland's hand trembled, "If I was not on guard from the beginning that hit would have completely shattered my right shoulder. No it's possible he was still holding back, if he wanted to he could have blown my arm clean off my body.", Royland thought to himself as he staggered to his feet.