5

"Oh, my- Keith!" Mom yelled as I walked into the house. I groaned as she came running towards me with tears in her eyes.

"WHAT HAPPENED TO MY BABY?!?!" She screamed and engulfed me in a bear hug. I groaned as pain shoot through my body and my ears rang.

"Ow, mom!" I yelled. "You're crushing me, " I mumbled in a small tone. She gasped and let go causing me to take in a deep breath. Finally...

"Uhh, I'll see you later, Keith," Alex said. Shit, I forgot he was out there.

"Ooo, who's this handsome young boy?" Mom asked and smiled at Alex before walking over to him. Alex blushed and rubbed the back of his neck.

"I'm Alex. Alex St. Marie. I live a couple of houses below yours." He replied and smiled.

"St. Marie? As in Chester St. Marie's son?" Mom asked. I stood there glaring at the back of my mother's head.

"Yep, you know my father?" He asked. She nodded happily and said, "Chester and I were best friends in high school. I just haven't seen him lately. It's surprising that he lives lower down my house and I didn't know."

"Good to know Mrs-"

"Please, before you mention that disgusting last name, call me Hayley." Mom said cutting him off. I gaped at her. My last name is not disgusting!

"Mooom, leave him alone," I said before she could say anything else. She pout before sighing.

"I better get going, I'll tell my dad that I met his best friend today," Alex said. I mentally facepalmed.

"Speaking of, you guys should come over for dinner tomorrow night. It would be nice to see him again and for the two of you to become closer." Mom suggested.

"Mom-"

"Sure. We'd love to come over, " Alex said cutting me off.

"Alex-"

"Wonderful!" Mom beamed cutting me off.

"OH MY GOD!" I yelled before any of them could say anything again.

"Keith! Keep your voice down, young man!" Mom glared at me.

"Why do I even try?!" I yelled and walked into the living room, but before I could turn around, I got a glimpse of Alex. He had this smirk on his face while he was talking. He had everything planned out! That little-

"See you tomorrow, Keith!" Alex spoke and smiled. I responded by rolling my eyes and looking away.

"I'll see you tomorrow, Hayley," Alex said to my mother. She replied with a goodbye before closing the door.

"What a wonderful young man." She said to herself and sighed with a smile.

Wonderful my ass...

"You completely forgot about me when you saw him," I mumbled, frowning heavily.

"I did not!" She argued.

Really now...

"Anyways, it doesn't matter. All I need is some sleep, " I said and took off my shoes.

"Be careful before you hurt yourself, " She said and frowned. I nodded before laying down on the couch. I closed my eyes and shortly fell into a deep sleep.

•••

"Keith, " A voice whispered. I groaned and rolled over. Something poked me causing me to grit my teeth.

"Leave me alone," I mumbled and tried to fall back as sleep but the poking never stopped.

"Wake up, someone's here to see you."

I opened my eyes before blinking away the blurriness. I looked up to see my sister looking down at me with a grin. I raised an eyebrow at her before getting off my bed.

"You can get out now, " I stated as I pursed my lips at her. She rolled her eyes before walking out. I walked out of my room before closing the door and made my way downstairs. I was so busy thinking about who was there that I didn't realize that I walked out of my room when I fell asleep on the couch.

"Keith, " A voice said from the living room as I took the last step. I looked towards the person and my heart sank.

"What are you doing here?" I asked. He smiled as I walked over to him.

"I came to check up on you, " He replied.

But why now? You never noticed me before you bumped into me.

"Oh..." Was the only thing I said.

"Yeah, so how are you?" He asked. I shrugged and sat down on the couch.

"Better, I guess. I can walk, so that's perfect." I replied and chuckled. He smiled and sat down next to me.

"Where's your mom?" He asked. I looked around and shrugged.

"Must have fallen asleep," I exclaimed. He nodded and looked away.

"Is that you?" He asked and got up before walking over to the photo which was hanging on the wall. I nodded and smiled before following him.

"Yeah, that's me and my dad. We were pretty close back then." I answered, my smile never leaving my face. I could feel tears prick the back of my eyes but I refused to liberate them.

"Wow, where is he now?" He asked and looked at me. His face fell when he noticed how broken I looked in front of him.

"You don't have to-"

"He left a few years ago, leaving my mother to take care of both my sister and me, " I replied cutting him off. I know I shouldn't be telling him this but I feel like I can trust him, but who knows, maybe I'm wrong.

"Oh, I'm sorry, " He said and frowned. I shrugged and rest against the wall.

"It's nothing. I expected that from him." I inhaled deeply after those words left my mouth.

"My mom actually left me and my dad when I was 3. Ever since then my father was a wreck, but then he found my stepmom and everything went back to the way it was before my mom left, " He muttered, a frown displaying in his lips before vanishing into mid-air.

"I'm sorry, " I said. He chuckled.

"On the bright side, we both got to know each other a little more. So now I can finally say-"

"Oh, hi Alex!" My mom's voice rang from the top of the stairs.

Wait, what?! Say what?!

"Hi Mrs- uhh, I mean... Hayley, right?" He asked and blushed. My mom walked down the stairs and nodded at him.

"Yep. How are you, sonny?" She asked.

Sonny?

"I'm alright. I just came to check up on Keith, if you don't mind. I still have a few things to ask him, " He replied and smiled. I love the way his eyes squint every time he smiled. It melts my heart.

"Oh, okay. Come anytime you'd like, love, " Mom replied.

"Alex, what were you about to say?" I asked catching his attention. He shook his head before taking a step backwards.

"I should be heading home. It was nice seeing you again Hayley! I'll come to see you tomorrow afternoon, Keith." He stated and waved before walking over to the door.

"Goodbye, Alex!" My mother yelled in joy and waved. He smiled and walked out before closing the door.

"Ahhh, such a gentleman. Don't let go of him, Keith, " Mother said and walked away. I stood there with my jaw slackened. I groaned and sat down on the couch.

"Well, so much for avoiding Alex for the rest of this term," I mumbled and sighed.