Chapter 1: Falter

"You can breathe, you can blink, you can cry, hell... you're all gonna be doing that." My breathe got caught in my throat as I watched Negan lift Lucille in the air, and slam it down into the mans head.

"Abraham!" I cried as I watched the love of my life crack open my brothers skull.

I watched as everyone's head turned to my direction. Especially Negan's. "Lily?" He mumbled, dumbfounded by the fact that I was here.

I didn't know how he would react so I ran. As I slide off the side of the RV I heard Negan bark orders at Simon. Once my feet hit the ground, I took off in a full sprint.

"Lily! Stop!" I heard Negan yell behind me. His loud footsteps kept at a steady pace behind me. I had to get away. He would kill me if he caught me. I went against his orders, rules, basically everything in the book.

I kept taking difficult paths, leaping over logs, weaving through the trees, all in hopes that he would slow down. But he didn't. He relentlessly called after me, begging for me to stop.

With my heart hammering in my chest all I could think about was Abraham. My older brother. The one that promised he would always protect me, just died. I thought he was already dead, but watching him get crushed by Lucille felt even worse.

I could've prevented it. I should've just walked up behind the row of saviors and the Alexandrians. Negan would've saw me and stopped the show. He probably would've killed me. But atleast my brother would still be alive.

Coming back to reality, I realized Negan was much closer. I quickly turned behind a tree and came face to face with a walker.

I grabbed its shoulder and chest, trying to push it away. As I made one hard shove, my left hand broke through its ribs. The cold, slimy texture engulfed my hand as I yelled. Its jaws snapped at my face. I tried to pull out my hand, but only made the corpse fall on top of me. Just when I thought all hope was lost, a bat hit the walker straight in the side of the head. It hit so forcefully that the head broke off and rolled to the ground.

My eyes were still wide from the attack. I laid my head back to be greeted with the mans eyes. He was disappointed. Not angry like I had thought. Just baffled and at a loss for words.

Negan helped pull the body off of me and then stood back up straight. I sat up and hung my head low, not wanting to hear about my punishments. The silence was filled with tension. It was so thick, you could cut it with a knife.

"Lily," he began in a soft tone. "I don't even know where to begin."

Shit. This isn't how I was expecting this to go. I thought it was gonna be a yelling match, not a sob fest.

I looked up and made eye contact. He was so confused. His eyebrows were shoved together, creating a crease between his brows. His lips were pulled into a straight line. His hand was already running though his hair.

Realizing that he wasn't going to speak, I did. "I went against your rules, I'm sorry."

A flash of realization went though his eyes. Maybe I shouldn't have brought that up.

"You snuck out. Why?" His eyes burned into my head as I looked down.

"I was curious. You've been about everything and this was the one time you weren't. And you had been talking about these 'Alexandrians' so I had to see for myself."

"Well are you happy about what you found?" He asked, his voice becoming more stern as his thoughts processed.

"No."

"I didn't tell you because I knew that if I did, you would insist on coming. I didn't want you to see that." I watch his boots turn to gave the other way. I look up and find that both his hand are on his head, his chest heaving in deep breaths.

"I didn't get it," I began. But a replay of Abraham ran through my head. The sound of the cries and the crack. It all sent chills down my spine and tears to my eyes. "But I get it now," I choked out.

Negan immediately spun around. "Baby," he mumbled as he knelt down to my height. I pulled my knees up my chest, already embarrassed of crying. He pulled my hands apart and held them gently. "Come on," he said as he pulled me up to my feet. He wrapped his arms around me as my head fell to his chest.

The feeling of the cold leather reminded me of the day I met him. I remember I was amazed to hear a heart beat again. I finally found someone that was different than those monsters.

But now I can look upon the dark jacket to find blood splashed across it. I think those thoughts have started to falter.

{well what do you think? I know it's kinda short but I didn't want to give too much away right in the beginning. Don't forget to vote and comment. It always brightens my day and it lets me know if you enjoyed it or not. Thanks!}