chapter 2

'She's your best friend. Don't take the risk of losing her. Don't break the bond you have with her!' His better judgement screamed. He forced himself to take a step back and turned his back to her. He couldn't look at the tempting sight she presented without losing control. He took a deep breath in an attempt to calm his frantically beating heart.

Kate was bemused and a little disappointed when he broke the kiss so abruptly. She was partly grateful that he ended it before she did something foolish...like ripping his shirt off.

"So what do you say...pretend to be my fiancè for two weeks?" He said,turning back to face her: his face composed in a bored expression.

How could he just pretend that nothing happened? Wasn't he affected like she was? Didn't he feel the sparks? How was he able to appear so nonchalant about that heated bout of passion they just shared?

Well then...if that's how he wanted to play it then game on, 'cause there is no way she was going to let him see that she was affected by that kiss. If Kyle wanted to play as if it meant nothing to him, then she's definitely playing too.

"Sure. Why not. It's just for two weeks." She quickly replied with forced enthusiasm; trying to convince herself rather than give a confirmation. She ran a hand through her dishevel hair. "Let's pretend that little kissing scene didn't happen. After all, it didn't mean anything to either of us."

Kyle felt a pang of something in his chest at the thought that the kiss didn't mean anything to her. He was still shaken up by that passionate 'bacio'. He was sure his last minute attempt to appear unaffected was futile, but he continued to act as if nothing had happened.

"Ok, so all I have to do is to pretend to be in love with him for two weeks... I could do that, right? Arg, why was this so hard."Kate muttered to herself, after Kyle left.

Ohhh she was in deep trouble now. How was she to act romantic when it's evident that she was sexually attracted to her best friend. She took a deep breath and tried to calm her thoughts. All she had to do was to keep him at arms length and avoid anything overly intimate with him. "Ok I can do this." She muttered under breath as she placed her only blue cotton dress into her suitcase. "Nothing too intimate..."

Kyle might be her best friend but he could be dangerous...especially now that she was aware that he could kiss like that. She felt heat rise in her body as her mind wandered back to the kiss.

Why was she like this? Why was it every time she thought about that kiss she felt flustered and light-headed. Was it that she loved him? That's the only plausible reason for her intense reaction every time she thought of Kyle since the locked lips...she was in love with him. That's was definitely it. Oh heavens, what was she getting herself into. He couldn't know this. He could seriously wreck havoc on her fragile heart - whether he was aware of it or not - if she wasn't careful. She had seen what his previous girlfriends went through because of his coldheartedness when it came to romantic love.

Kyle didn't 'do' love. He was a player who showed no regards for his lovers' feelings whatsoever. He wasn't one to care about much,only his family and his work.

Her best friend was a self-made billionaire and it had to have taken a great deal of love for his work, to achieved that. It also didn't help that he was born into one of the richest families in Italy and was given everything he wanted from an early age. Yes, Kyle was Italian and she's just a normal American girl who had to write a couple books inorder to put food on the table and to pay the bills. Life wasn't that bad for her; it's just that when you look at how different their backgrounds are, you wonder how on earth two people who are socially incompatible could possibly be best friends. To make matters worse...now she was in love with him. Way to go Kate.

A/N: so this is short but I have exams 2maro so I couldn't spend a lot of time writing this. I'm going to make sure the next chapter is longer. Please Vote and Comment.

P.S: 'Bacio' is italian for kiss.