Savior...

Narrator's POV ~ Two Years Earlier

Carl held Judith close to him as he made his way through the prison, careful to avoid walkers and the Governor's new group.

Making his way to where he knew the bus would be waiting to get them to safety but as Carl got to that area of the prison, the bus was already rolling away.

Not letting that failed plan slow him down, Carl ran out of the gates in the same direction the bus was going but remained unnoticed by all, living or dead.

When he could not run any longer, Carl speed-walked towards the forest, clutching his infant sister close to his chest.

Within a few minutes of entering the woods, the elder Grimes child heard the growl of a walker, cursing that he didn't have a gun, he pulled out his knife and stabbed it in the brain.

As the walker collapsed to the ground, Carl noticed that it was wearing a poncho which was a lucky break after so much misfortune.

Setting Judith on the ground, he took the poncho off of the walker and set it flat on the ground and got his knife and stabbed the dead walker in its stomach and pulled the knife towards the walker's hips.

Once he had made an incision, he began to pull the decomposing guts and blood out of it and spread it all over the outside of the poncho, on his face and hair and he put the poncho on and picked Judith up and hid her under the poncho.

Holding Judith with one arm, he picked his knife back up with his free hand and walked deeper into the forest, completely ignored by the living dead, praying to any deity that was listening —though he doubted any of them were, but it did not hurt to try— that she did not cry.

***

In a months time —or maybe longer, it was impossible to keep track of time anymore—, the Grimes siblings were out of Georgia and past the Carolinas and now were in Virginia.

Making his way into a gas station's convenience store, Carl hit the window and waited for any walkers to appear from inside, when none did, he opened the door and went inside.

Walking inside, he saw some rotten hot dogs at the counter and looked for even the smallest amount of baby formula behind the register counter.

From the other side of the store, Carl heard two people, a man and a woman, talking.

Making his way silently over to them, Judith began to fuss, catching the two people's attention.

"Holy crap, it's a kid." A Middle Eastern woman said, nearly dropping a sack filled with cans

The people were silent, only the sound of a growling stomach broke the silence.

"When was the last time you ate, kid?" A man asked Carl

"We haven't eaten in a week, I think." Carl replied

"'We'?" The woman asked, causing Carl to lift the poncho to show Judith

"Holy shit, there's two kids." The man muttered, looking to the woman he was with, "Arat, we got to bring them back with us. There's no way they can survive much longer on their own."

Arat nodded in agreement, "We do, Drake."

Drake looked at the two Grimes, "I'm Drake and this is Arat, who are you?"

Carl looked at them curiously, but the idea of being safe —well as safe as one could be in these times— in a camp was heavenly, "I'm Carl Grimes, this is my sister, Judith."

"Do you wanna come back with us? We got this base with a lot of people, you'll be safe." Drake asked, his hand outstretched

"Yes." Carl replied, taking Drake's hand

Carl and Judith waited in Drake and Arat's car for them to finish their run, within twenty minutes for them to load their stuff up and get back in.

Drake got into the driver's seat and Arat in the passenger while they two Grimes were in the back.

While they drove back to a place Arat had called 'The Sanctuary', she spoke to them, "Well, Carl, we're called the Saviors and when we get y'all back we'll introduce you to the guy who runs the place, Negan. He'll explain the rest when we get back."

***

Around two —it felt that long anyways in the awkward silence— hours later, the car pulled into what looked like a military base and Arat got out to assist with unloading the finds while Drake took Carl and Judith to a tall man who was wearing gray jeans, a white t-shirt, a leather jacket, a crimson scarf, and was holding a baseball bat with barbed wire on it.

"Negan." Drake greeted

"Yes?" Negan replied, turning to face him

"While Arat and I were on our run, we found these two." Drake answred, "They're siblings, Carl and Judith Grimes."

"Well, hello there, darlin'." Negan greeted, petting Judith's tuffs of blonde hair, "I'm Negan. And y'all be stayin' here, right? Drake can show you to one of our spare rooms, one of my wives can watch your sister while you clean up. I'll talk to you later, Carl, I've got my hands full at the moment."

"Thank you, sir." Carl thanked, exhaustion slowly taking over as the adrenaline wore off

"Just call me Negan, 'sir' was my father." Negan joked, walking away into the crowd

Drake led Carl and Judith to a fancy room on the top floor holding six woman, all wearing mid-thigh length, A-line black dresses of various styles.

"Hello, ladies." Drake greeted, "Negan wants y'all to watch this little princess while her brother learns how we do things 'round here."

"Okay, I'll watch her, it's been forever since I seen one of these precious things." One of Negan's wives, who was a brunette with hazel eyes said, "I'm Tanya, by the way."

"I'm Carl." Carl said, "And my sister's name is Judith."

"How cute." Tanya cooed, taking Judith from Carl, "I'll watch her for you whenever, no points charged."

"Points?" Carl asked, confused

"I'll explain more when we get to your room." Drake replied, leading Carl down the stairs and little ways down the hall

The room was plain and small with a small bed, small desk with a chair, small counter, a sink, a small sofa, and a red door Carl assumed led to a bathroom.

"This is your room, remember how we got here, the communal bathroom is down the hall." Drake said, "Anyways, here in the Sanctuary, everything is worth points. A day's worth of meals in the cafeteria is worth twenty points. Pricing in the shop depends on what item, there's a 'checkout' where the lady will give you a price. Random chores around the place are worth points, going on runs are worth thirty points plus whatever you find, a biter kill with proof is worth ten points apiece, any random thing Negan has you do is worth points, stuff like that. You kept you and your infant sister alive in the wild, so I think you'll catch on quickly and your meal now and tonight is free —courtesy of Negan."

Drake turned to leave, "Oh, Arena is every Sunday in the plaza, winner gets a thousand points."

Before Carl could ask what arena was, Drake was gone...