Chapter One : Perfection

"Tarin. Tarin get up, it's time for breakfast." I rolled over and groaned.My Mother, Queen Teraiq, always woke me up WAY too early. "Five more minutes mom. Please?" Mom sighed. "Oh, alright, my little dragonet." I sat up. "I am not little!" My mother laughed. "You sure aren't. And guess what? Now you're awake." I groaned. "Alright, I'll be down in a bit." Mom started for the door. "Oh, and don't forget to wake up Fulgur, you know how lazy he is in the mornings." "Alright, I will." The door closed with a soft click. I stood up, spread my wings, and stretched. 

           "Ugh. Flying would be GREAT right now." However, instead of sneaking out and flying around for a bit, I silently walked to Fulgur, my brothers', room. I creaked open the door and waited. 1...2...3... "What do you want Tarin?" I walked inside the room. "Mom told me to come and fetch you, It's time for breakfast." Fulgur blew out a breath, sending small sparks into the air. "Alright. Let me get Skip." He walked to a door on the other side of the room and walked through. Skip, Fulgur's pet, was a fire lizard. He got him 2 years earlier after he won a bet with his friend, Ventus. Fulgur returned, Skip on his shoulder with his frill unfurled. "Ready to go?" Fulgur nodded. "Yeah, let's go before mom fetches us."

           We walked in silence. Finally, I got bored. "Fulgur, have you talked to Ventus recently? I haven't seen you two together for quite a while." Fulgur sighed. "No, he hasn't been able to leave the house ever since he let those lightning beetles free in Malum's house." I giggled. "I remember that. His parents were furious!!" We kept talking until we came to they Dining Hall, where mom was pacing worriedly. When she spotted us, she ran over and hugged us. "Oh children! Where have you been? It's been 30 minutes!"  Fulgur and I looked down. "Sorry mom, we were talking and lost track of time." I looked at my mother.

          She sighed. "It's alright. I just get so worried when I don't know where you two are. Come now, let us have something to eat." We all sat down at the table and admired the delicious meal that was prepared for us. Mom clapped her hands and looked at us, her only children. "Let us feast." And with that, everyone dug in. It was perfection. The happiness. The laughter. All of it. But nothing, not even perfect things, last forever........