epilogue pt. 3

Winter resided in the hospital room—dazed—after Summer's reply.

The room looked even more bleak than before.

"A–are you alright?" Winter asked as she gingerly dried the tears from Summer's plush cheeks.

Summer gave Winter a soft smile in return.

"Yes, I'm fine. I'm not sure what came over me. I'm sorry you had to see me like this. I'm very grateful for your concern."

She shook her head slowly as if she had said something wrong. Winter tensed.

"It's just that I can't remember who you are to me. You even came all this way to see me."

Winter paled to the point she resembled snow. She backed away and barely uttered her response.

"To you, I'm more than a friend, but less than a lover."

With that, she took off—almost running. Heart pounding and hot tears streaming down her face.

Her breathing irregular—she wanted to get as far away from the hospital as possible.

Summer watched from her window as Winter exited from the hospital doors.

Her hand drew towards her heart and she felt a pang of guilt.

The room was silent. Only the drip drop of her IV could be heard.

Confusion struck her as she clutched her chest.

"It hurts so damn much, so why can't I figure out why?"