40

ICE TIDE

The sound of gunshots near sounded so wonderful. Above the surface, the metallic drums banged from the sky like bombs under water, or the tapping on a fish bowl, the bullets quaked the ice tide. And the magic, the hand around her neck retracted. The knee in her stomach jumped, her body was released—And she up righted to the surface.

GASP!

Her chest expanded as her lips kissed the tidal spray. Spotty lights flickered her vision, and she coughed out buckets of salt.

-----

Gunshots . . ..

BANG—BANG—A motor offshore—dancing flashlights darted her body—

She blinked. She was alone in the water now. "Get her in the boat" said a voice while the gunshots stopped.

Ali levitated. Her body was so numb; she couldn't feel herself being hauled up onto an oceanic motorcycle.

"Let's get these jet skis further in," said the man, "My boat's sitting somewhere out there."

The oceanic motorcycles revved, and she felt back into the man's chest. His strong arms twisted around her neck when her turned the vehicle, and she bounced against him over licks of waves . . .

"Diamond?" she asked.

The ocean called in the darkness. It became more and more deafening as they continued outward to sea. Colder and colder did the atmosphere freeze. And a clap of thunder shook her heart and the sea.

His voice yelled out to a buddy jet ski.

"Diamond," there's the boat. Let's aboard."

The flashlight turned on, and a luxurious white cruiser with two stories swayed ahead. Diamond held the flashlight, and he slowed his jet ski ahead of them.

Their jet ski slowed too, and when the revving was fully gone, and only the sound of gusting wind and rippling waves and far away thunder churned the sound waves, she turned to the man, to ask again, "Who's behind me?"

The man stood up, and the Jet Ski rocked.

The man said, "Diamond . . ." and all of a sudden, the flashlight fell away from the boat, and flashed over him.

The man who saved her life. In the flesh . . . in only flesh . . .

"Yes, Mr. Sorenson?" said Diamond.

"There's a rope. Pull it down." He looked down to Ali, who peered up at him in wonder. He kneeled and lowered his lips to her forehead, and puckered as if to say everything will be all right."

Diamond threw the rope over to them, and Will rapped a knot around the vehicles neck. In a minute, Ali was hoisted into Will's arms like a child, and she kissed him . . . thankfully.