1 Grammarly and Prowritingaid

ALISON

She breathed again. Reborn. Like a Phoenix.

Her legs were as smooth and tanned as a Brazilian Goddess's. Under them, her Nike-laced toes dashed across the cliff trails with lightness like skates over clouds.

Her heart thumped like drip-drops in a wet cave, and her breaths whistled tunes through the sea salt air that brushed up from the Mediterranean Sea below.

What a sight to see. How lucky Alison was to experience such a beautiful view. So violent was the visual of her surroundings. The crashing waves about the crisp cream-colored sands were so carnivorous that they foamed at their mouths. And so vibrant was the sun. It made the far-off islands illuminate as electric patches of green which melted the peripheral areas of naturally navy blue into mystical optical illusions of rainbow streaks that dazzled the eye with metallic spectrums of emerald, indigo, and turquoise whirlpools which swallowed the oceanic sparkles like twisting saran wrap.

CAW! CAW!

Seagulls dashed overhead—a warning.

She lifted her idyllic face to the skies, where it reflected in giant projections across the starry daytime. What was going on?

Still jogging along the cliff's thin edge, where color-changing orchids lined the trail, she watched a hundred seagulls fly up from below the cliffs and plague the air with more loud caws.

Her spine tingled, and a shiver stuck her back that triggered her to bolt quicker across the trail. But wait. Where was she going anyway?

When did she begin this jog?

CAW! CAW!

A seagull talon pelted the back of her head. She fell. Sand choked her in one swallow, and to her surprise, she slid like a wheel off the trail. Over the orchids. Off the cliff—

Tumbling, tumbling — she screamed and crashed against jagged rocks, which shredded her sports bra and fluorescent shorts until her vision faded. The sound of crashing ocean waves boomed her eardrums, and she swallowed ocean water and submerged under Poseidon's land.

* * *

The piercing cry of a child woke her finally. Her eyes peeled to the night. She found herself on a rickety raft on a stormy ocean. Devilish dark clouds circumvented the skies in all directions — where lightning the color red bit like fangs into towering waves.

"ALISON — HELP. ALISON — HELP ME — I'M DROWN--"

She spun and saw a dark silhouette rising and falling with the titanic waves in the distance. The voice was that of a toddler, a familiar scream she'd heard before, which shocked her heart and crushed her lungs—

She had to save him.

"HOLD ON, ERIC." She leaped off the raft, arms first, and plunged into the deep. Her vision, aided by lightning above the surface, acquired the toddler, his legs treading short of a hundred yards. She swam and swam, but the ocean swayed like jello. It pulled her back, and it was no use. The boy could tread no longer. Lowering beneath the surface, he spasmed, silenced, and drowned into the deep, soon vanishing into the dark where the lights did not reach.

Alison had watched, and her tears mixed with the sea. She cried beneath the surface, caring not whether to rise and breathe herself again.

But an arm clutched her chest, and she shot to the surface where she gasped for cold air. Her eardrums broke from the weight of the sea. All she knew was that a strong silhouette pulled her up onto a large boat. As the single rescuer hoisted her up, she collapsed out of his grasps and hit the floor. Only after a day would she awaken.

She would wake up and see her rescuer.

She would wake up. Wake up. Wake up.

Wake up.