seventeen | i'm okay

— ❊ —

          "When are you gonna wake up?" A voice sighed out. A voice that was far too familiar for Jungkook to not recognize. He wanted to see her face but he couldn't. He couldn't move his body, let alone open his eyes no matter how much he tried to. He felt paralyzed and for a moment, he thought 'Am I dead?'

He knew that he saw a dream not too long ago and that he was wide awake right now, but somehow, not awake at the same time. "Wake up, please. I want to see your beautiful smile again," Eunmi whined and those words somehow made the pace of his heartbeat faster. It was very well heard throughout the room from his heartbeat monitor and that made Eunmi lift a suspicious eyebrow.

"Jungkook?" she said unconsciously and held his hand, "Can you hear me?" The pace of his beating heart didn't slow down. Jungkook wanted to reply but he couldn't and still had no idea what was wrong with him.

Eunmi let go of his hand and ran out of the room and when he couldn't hear her voice anymore, he began to get worried. 'Was that just another voice in my head?' He didn't want that to be the case. He craved to hear her voice again and frustration took over him. He had to wake up.

Not too long after, he heard the sound of several footsteps shuffling around as people mumbled medical terms around him. He panicked when he heard the word 'coma'. He put in all his power to try and move but all efforts went in vain. However, he knew better than to give up. He didn't know whether his heart choosing to beat in different rhythms for Eunmi was a good thing or not, but he liked it for some reason.

He became more aware of his situation and as days passed by, he felt himself being able to move painfully slowly. First, he got to move his fingers, one by one. Then, his eyes. When he finally managed to open his eyes, he got see the person that made his heart flutter. She laid her head near him as she slept, the blue moonlight illuminating her face.

His throat felt dry and his voice sounded coarse when he tried to whisper her name. All the muscles and bones in his body hurt and the pipes stuck down his throat didn't help reduce the pain one bit. Lifting up a shaky hand, he tried to reach out to her. The tips of his fingers merely got to graze against her arm and she slowly opened her eyes.

Still tired, she blinked towards him and was about to fall back asleep once again when realization took over her. "Jungkook!" She shot up and moved closer to him. All she wanted to do was hug him tightly as tears gathered in her eyes, "You're awake." She held her hands out towards him but his fragile frame made her hesitant to touch him, afraid that one wrong move would make him leave her once again.

"I-I'll get the doctors," she said and bolted out of the room. Doctors walked in and ran several tests on him as they took his vitals. Hours passed by before they began to remove the breathing tubes, allowing Jungkook to start breathing normally again. He heaved in deep breaths as his body shivered in pain. They injected different sorts of drugs into him through the IV and helped numb and ease the pain. Around two days of being alone passed by with only the doctors and nurses coming hourly to check up on his condition. He asked for Eunmi every time by forcing out the words with the little energy he had to only get a reply of, "We can't allow visitors in here yet."

When they finally declared him to be healthy enough to be out of the ICU, Eunmi came to see him. The moment their eyes locked, she forced a tight-lipped and kept her eyes down the rest of the time as she sat beside him. Jungkook furrowed his eyebrows when she wouldn't look towards him and wondered if she was upset with him.