nineteen | real friends

— ❊ —

          Eunmi was right about the boys. They actually cared about him the way Eunmi and her family did and their actions showed it. It's been four months since Jungkook had gotten released from the hospital and not a single day had passed by where they didn't visit him. Jungkook felt a bit uncomfortable during the first few weeks but he eventually began to get used to their presence and goofiness. Each one of them had a unique personality - some were calm and composed while the others were hyper and cheery - and Jungkook grew to love each one of them.

He missed out a lot in his studies and after he transferred to Taehyung and his friends' school, they would drop by at his apartment every night and help him to catch up by willingly pulling several all-nighters with him. Everyone loved sleeping after a tiring day but helping Jungkook became their first priority by then so they didn't hesitate one bit when sacrificing their sleep. Eunmi would drop by a few times too but since she goes to an all-girls school now with a different schedule, she couldn't get to meet him as often though they never fail to send texts to each other every day.

However, the society didn't change at all. Today was just another school day as it was before. Jungkook didn't try to hide his past anymore; he was far too tired to continue being anxious about anyone finding out about it. People would avoid being close to him. They'd move away if he happened to pass by and sometimes, they'd manage to mutter out an insult at him too.

Taehyung and the rest of their friends came near Jungkook's class by the end of the session and they walked across the corridors along with their own conversations.

"Is that the Jeon Jungkook everyone warned about? He really does look like he'd kill someone."

There it went. An ugly remark from a heartless soul. It wasn't said out loud but it was loud enough for Jungkook and his friends to hear. Jungkook held his head down and continued to walk while biting his lips. He tried to avoid being sad when people spoke like that but he was human after all. It still hurt.

Jungkook didn't notice how his friends glared at whoever that person was but he wasn't surprised when he heard them talk back and jump to his defense. "These people never learn, do they?" Namjoon clucked his tongue and shook his head in disappointment. "Don't talk about things that you don't know about," Taehyung shouted. "Yeah, it makes you seem pathetic. Get a life," Yoongi said with a disgusted face before they all walked off and caught up with Jungkook.

"Hey, you okay?" Hoseok asked as he slung an arm around Jungkook's shoulder and leaned down to get a better look at his face. Jungkook forced a smile and nodded, "Yeah, I'm used to it."

They knew that he wasn't fine though. No one would've been. "I'm hungry. Let's go eat pizza!" Jimin said, trying to change the topic in hopes of lightening up the mood. Everyone tried to be enthusiastic about it and agreed. When Jungkook didn't say anything, "Kookie? You in?" Seokjin asked.

Jungkook rubbed the back of his neck, "I'm a bit tired now. I think I'll just go home." He waved to them before they could say anything more and walked off as soon as he saw the bus coming. He got on and slumped down in his seat as the bus rode off.

By the time he got home, his sadness became far too evident on his face. He tried to convince himself to be more positive but he failed to do so as he hopped into the shower. After a long shower filled with him battling his emotions and allowing the water to rinse away his tears, he stepped out with a towel loosely hung around his waist and looked at his reflection in the mirror.