Chapter 16- Meeting Dudley

Harry was getting ready to meet up with the cousin who had tormented him for most of his childhood, Ginny had insisted on being there and for that, he was grateful, as he wasn't sure if he would have been able to handle it without her by his side. Ron and Hermione had offered to look after baby James for them. The twins were going with their parents (as Dudley apparently had a daughter about the same age). The little family of four dressed in Muggle clothes and headed into the car (a recent purchase of Harry's). Dudley now lived in a little borough of London with his wife Fiona and their daughter Delilah Dursley.

When they arrived at Dudley's house, Harry told the girls that they were going to meet Daddy's cousin and his daughter, and that they needed to be on their best behaviour. As he rang the doorbell, Harry's heart began to race and it felt like it jumped into his mouth. Ginny sensed his anxiety and took his hand, squeezing it reassuringly. He smiled gratefully at his wife and took a deep breath, steeling himself.

The door swung open, revealing a Dudley who appeared to be a shadow of his former self, not just because of the dramatic weight loss. It was something about his eyes, he looked like he had the weight of the world on his shoulders.

Harry's nervousness instantly vanished and he drew his cousin into his arms. Ginny was so proud of her husband in that moment, loving that he could put the past behind him and be the bigger person. He just had so much love and compassion for everybody he met. Ginny decided to take the girls to meet Delilah (a pretty young girl with soft, silky, light blonde hair and creamy skin, coupled with the brightest blue eyes she had ever seen), so that Harry could talk to his cousin in peace.

"Ah, Dudley, tell me what's been going on. What's made you feel and look like this?"
"There were dark things everywhere, like those things you saved me from that time, and it just made me feel so depressed, I had so many bad memories, mainly of how I treated you and I just wanted to apologise. I think that I let my parents get in my head and didn't even attempt to form my own opinion of you. I don't think you're a waste of space and I never did. I would really like it if we could be friends."

Harry stared at him for around a full minute, stunned into silence. He only snapped out of it when he heard Dudley call him by name. Another shock, as it was the very first time he had ever used his name and not called him something horrible.

"Of course Big D! I would like that too." He replied, grinning at the old nickname. The two guys shook hands on their new, tentative friendship and went to join their wives and children.