Chapter Four: Golden Skeleton

The house was quiet... Mom went to run her numbers before the store becomes too crowded with old mornings risers. I had work, unfortunately. Without a ride to take me into town, I had to walk, since it's a small town there are no buses. So I grabbed my old book bag and went on a hike, it wasn't bad; the day was warm and sunny, everyone was already at work- leaving the streets empty and quiet. A few teenagers were playing hooky, but it's none of my business.

The office was quiet as well, only the sound of fingers tapping on the keyboards, phones ringing, low chatter and the copy machine going; everything and everyone were normal. Not even the frat boy of a boss poked his head out from his office to give me shit when I walked in, I was early- five minutes early actually, so he shouldn't say anything.

I settled into the small cubicle, taking a few deep breaths to start my day. Turning on my computer, I checked my phone to see if I had any messages before putting it on silent. No messages, not that I would have a lot in the morning.

"Emily," The frat boy poked his head out of the office, he did not yell nor fuss, he was professional for once. I wonder what Amanda has done to put him in check.

I walked into his office, it smelt of coffee and flowers, being that he had a vase full of wild flowers on his desk. "Another delivery, sir?" I gestured towards the flowers, being that they weren't his style.

"Yes, this time to the Saint Joseph hospital. Ask for Zoe Totes." He wrote a little note down onto a sticky note. "Use petty cash to call a taxi."

I nod my head while taking the vase and sticky note, "Anything else, sir? I already sent over the documents to Washington, and called Mr. Bults yesterday for the one o'clock meeting today."

If I weren't mistaken, the prick had an approving smile upon his face. "That's it."

"Okay." I stepped out his office, actually feeling good about the day. I stopped by my cubicle to shut down my computer and grab my purse before I step onto the elevator.

***

The last time I stepped a foot inside Saint Joseph's hospital was for my mother's check up for her leg, I never liked hospital; it's cold, smells of bleach and sickness, all white and I've seen a share fair of horror movies that involved a hospital. I held the vase close to my face, to not see the patients and to only see the door number.

I suddenly stopped in front of a close wide brown door with a long thin window that only gave me a vision of white curtains hiding the bed. I checked the number, twice before knocking lightly. No answer. I took a deep breath, not too deep to smell all of the sickness and bleach- I opened the door to hear soft jazz music playing in the background. The door closed softly behind me as I stepped inside, the room was surprisingly decorated; purple furniture that the hospital would nor could not buy, pictures on the walls- family portraits or just art- vase full of old dying flowers on the table.

A woman, a little older than me, sitting up with the beds help; still, breathing through a oxygen mask as her eyes were wide open. I was cautious before stepping into her line of vision, her eyes moved towards me. She was bald, she would of had dark brown hair- I knew that from her eyebrows- dark green eyes and smooth fair skin, mainly from the lack of sunlight.

"Hello, I'm Emily. My boss, Carter Davis, sent me to deliver you these flowers." I moved the vase lower so she can see my face. I looked around the room, it seem as if Carter wasn't the only one he had the idea of sending a vase of flowers. A few flowers were already dead, others were welting.

I found a good spot for Carter's flowers, by removing the dead vase from the table closet to her, I placed the dark green vase that match her eyes in the spot. "There." I said as if I moved the Great Wall of China.