Chapter Seven: "I'm Fine"

Cleopatra did what she promised by taking us out of town and to the outskirts of the forest. She found a little spot looking out the bay, with one large dirt path leading back to the main road, and the thick forest full of tall oak trees. The sun was setting, the sky was painted in orange and blue with a hint of purple, it was beautiful, a good relaxing spot to hear the small waves from the bay, the cool breeze brushing against our skin and smell the sea water and dirt ground. How come I never found this?

Maybe because I never explored around this area, it was known to be a make out area for teenagers back when I were in school; it was also a suicide area for lost souls. A large cliff was near by, they'll either jump into the cold freezing water during the winter, or into the high rough tides in the summer- both at dark, leaving a little note by on the short rock wall near the cliff. They made the wall to keep cars from going up, but unfortunately it wasn't tall enough to keep the people from spending their last days looking at the sunset before they fell to their death.

Some days, I imagined myself taking a long walk to that cliff when I were younger; when the time were hard and I can just in it by taking a quick dip, only this dip will cause me not to resurface alive. Of course, I would not follow through on that long walk. It would be a simple thought- a bark with no bite.

Cleopatra locked her car door before leaning on the hood of the car beside me. We stared out to the water- from afar it was dark blue, but close up it was green and dirt brown- it smelt of rotten fish and salt, the ground beneath us was just mud caused by the high tides. The place was beautiful from afar, when you drive by and see the beautiful aspects of everything in under a minute; but once you actually drive up to it, take the time to look at every feature, you'll see that it wasn't beautiful- it was ugly, smelly, and boring.

"I apologize for my rudeness from the past week." I started to say to break the ice. "I spazzed out on you for no reason, I barely know you and I'm taking all my frustration and sorrow into you."

Cleopatra scoot closer, she placed her hand on mine that was resting on the warm slightly dirty hood of the car. Instead of making me relax, it made my heart pound, stomach twist from my nerves, tongue dry and mind cloudy. "We're not strangers anymore, Emily." This was the third time she said my name, it never gets old on how she affected me just by saying one word. "Tell me what's going on?"

I took a deep breath, twice before actually looking at her, not past her. Cleopatra's eyes twinkled with care as her lips tugged into a small comforting smile. "Mike was blackmailing me after what happened, he was threatening me and even hit me. I reported him, that's why he was arrested. Then my old childhood friend told me of our parents affair, her dad sleeping with my mother. Mom and I had an argument before you showed up. That's just the summary of what happened."

Cleopatra let go of a deep breath, "I'm glad you reported that asshole. About the affairs, it's heartbreaking to hear, I never experienced anything like that so I can't say I understand what you're going through. But I'm glad you explained it to me, now I can help you go through it..."

"I'm fine," I added. "I just had a small breakdown. I bundle up everything inside and just keep it in until I explode. I know I shouldn't do that, but if you were barely the age of fourteen juggling jobs and school; you would have no other choice but keep things in to get things done." I stated before removing my hand from hers, instead of hiding myself from her, I slowly opened up by placing my hand back. Our fingers intertwined, I immediately relaxed from the pure contact. "Thank you."

Cleopatra caressed my cheek with her other hand and leaned in slowly, she wanted to to kiss my lips again but went for my forehead. I'm kinda glad she did not kiss me on the lips, it was wrong timing, besides it's best for us to remain friends; it's for the best. Her plump lips lingered upon my skin before she pulled away, I can still feel her on my forehead. I let go of a shaky breath to keep myself from pulling her back in.