T H R E E

T H R E E

The third year was harder than the first two.

I was going to University, but you had long finished.

We were away from each other almost every day, but I knew I couldn't drop out for you. I loved you, but I loved learning too.

I had always been fascinated with the human mind and all its intricacies since I was a little girl, and it had taken me twenty-one years to realise I should put mine to good use.

So I went to university and studied to become a psychologist. But every minute that I wasn't learning, I was missing you. I hated that I was away from you, Ashton.

It sucked.

Sometimes, I wanted to study my own mine. See it from another person's view. I wanted to see if this career, this art that I was following would deny my love of you. It seemed to be the only thing I hated about the human mind.

The way that we could shoot people down immediately, and tell them that what they are feeling isn't real. Deny them of all they thought was true and turn them into an empty shell. I hated humans sometimes.

But never you.

After three months of hard working, they gave the students a three week break. I travelled to see you, and I remember catching your eye at the train station, and running to you.

It was like some stupid cliche chick flick, and was hugely romanticised, but I didn't care. I was with you. Finally.

And time seemed to melt away as we twisted in each others arms.

During my third break, we had our second anniversary. We'd been together for longer than I'd ever been with anyone, and I loved you more than I had ever loved anyone else.

I knew that what I wanted was the right thing to do, and at the right time.

I was staying with my parents at the time, but took a weekend away to be with you in your little apartment.

It was small, sure, and there was only one bed. But that just meant we had to cuddle up. So I didn't mind.

On my second night of staying with you, we stayed up late watching tv, but still somehow found the energy to break your bed.

It wasn't the first time that I'd had sex, but it was definitely the first time that I had enjoyed it.

Afterwards, we snuggled up in our usual position and you whispered in my ear “I love you, Ava.”

Three words, followed by three letters. And I whispered back,

“I love you too,”

Because I did. And I knew that you were the only person I wanted to be with right now.