Chapter Fifteen: Rescue Patrol

The next few days were a bit of a blur; I'd work my shift and then go home, where Tomoyo would meet me and make dinner for me. "I used to make dinners for us before your...situation," she'd explained.

Toward the end of a particularly busy day, the phone rang while I was closing up shop. "Hikarizaka Recycle Shop; this is Okazaki."

"Tomoya-san?"

"Hey, Pastor Jeff; It's been a while." The last time I had seen him was during our time with the twins. "What'cha need?"

"Could...Could you come to the church after you get off work?" He sounded anxious for some reason.

"Is everything okay?" I asked, worried.

An awkward chuckle. "Um, I think so? Just...it'll make more sense when you get here...I think."

We signed off, and I quickly called my place on the off-chance that Kotomi was there, waiting for me.

Sure enough... "H-Hello?"

"Hi, Kotomi?"

"Yes, this is Kotomi. Ah! Tomoya?"

"Yeah, it's me. Listen, could you come to my work? Pastor Jeff asked me to stop by the church; he sounded nervous about something."

"Pastor Jeff? Who is that?"

That's right; she'd never officially met the pastor. "It's kinda hard to explain, but he visited me while I was in the hospital. He came with us when I went home from the hospital. He's like a priest, but...isn't."

"I see." In my mind's eye, I could see her eyes losing focus as she thought. "I can be there in about fifteen minutes. Will that be okay?"

"Sure," I said. "And thanks."

"You're very welcome, Tomoya. I...*I love you*" she finished in English.

"Th-Thanks," I replied, cringing as I recalled the memories that had returned because of our kiss.

***

She met up with me at the shop and we made our way over to Pastor Jeff's church.

"How long have you known him?" she asked as we walked.

"Well, like I said, he visited me while I was in the hospital, so...three weeks? A month?" I shrugged. "Time's been kinda weird for me since I got beat up."

She nodded thoughtfully. "I believe I understand; a loss of memories can have that effect on an individual."

"Maybe after Tomoyo tells me about my...relationship...with her, I'll be all set," I grunted.

"That would be...wonderful," she said, sounding a little strained.

"I think that's the place," I said as the church came into view. It looked very different than the temples I'd seen; it was tall, with a column-like structure that rose high above the rest of the building.

"Tomoya!"

I nearly jumped out of my skin. "K-Kyou?!"

The older twin sat on a bench not too far from the church. "Here to see Pastor Jeff?"

"What are you doing all the way out here?" I asked. "Isn't this pretty far from your place?"

"Yup!" she chirped as she hopped up from her seat. "So..." She gave us a sly smile. "Are you here to see him?"

"Indeed we are," Kotomi answered.

Kyou studied my friend for a minute before... "Oh, I see; you've given up on Miss Perfect, eh? Trading up to Genius Girl, then?"