Chapter Nineteen: Total Recall

I spent an anxious day at work as I waited for closing time. Believing that the last bits of my memory were going to be restored kept me distracted for most of the day.

I was in the back room, getting my coat on, when I heard the front bell ring. Crud; I had forgotten to lock the door and flip the sign. "Just a minute, please."

"Okay."

I washed my hands one last time, then headed out to the showroom. "I'm sorry, but we're closed; I could help you with-"

"It's okay," Tomoyo said as she pushed a beautiful silver lock over her ear. "I flipped your sign and locked the door behind me."

"Thanks," I said. "I've been distracted all day because...well..."

"I get it," she said quietly. "Sorry it's taken me this long."

"Well, you had your reasons," I replied just as quietly.

"Yeah." We stood there awkwardly for what seemed like forever before she spoke again. "Well, you ready to go?"

"Since this morning," I answered as I chuckled awkwardly.

She smiled softly as she turned to head back to the entrance.

We opened the door to a surprise: "Tomoya, Sakagami-san; good afternoon," Kotomi greeted with a bow.

I bowed reflexively and noticed that Tomoyo ducked her head slightly. "Good afternoon, Kotomi," I greeted. "Is there something I can do for you?"

"I wanted-" She cut herself off with a glance to my silver-haired friend. "I-I wanted to walk you home; I did not know that you had something planned with Sakagami-san."

"Well, you talked me into it, so I'm doing it," Tomoyo replied.

"May...May I come?" Kotomi asked. "I...I wish to understand Tomoya better."

"Kotomi," I said, holding up a hand, "Tomoyo might be sharing some pretty personal stuff, and might not be comfortable with-"

"Sure, you can come," Tomoyo interrupted. "You need to understand, after all."

My childhood friend studied my silver-haired friend briefly. Finally, she nodded. "You are correct; I do need to understand."

As the three of us headed to the restaurant I realized that I was the only one who didn't understand...yet, at least.

***

We arranged ourselves at the table so the girls both sat across from me. I didn't want to appear to be playing favorites by sitting next to either of them...for the time being.

"I will pay for myself and for Tomoya," Kotomi declared as she reached across to cover my hand.

"No, I'll take care of it," Tomoyo countered as she reached across to cover my other hand.

"Jeez, are you two going to start already?" I grunted, pulling my hands away from both of them. "I'll pay for my own stuff; that's what I was planning, anyway."

"O-Okay," they somehow managed to stutter in unison. "Sorry."

As we looked at our menus I found myself wishing that I had invited Pastor Jeff along; he could have given me some insight into my situation, or at least been a referee. Though if Kyou had found us, that could have made it more of a mess... I slapped my menu down on the table, a little annoyed at the whole situation. "I've decided. What about you?"

There was a long, uncomfortable silence after the waitress took our orders, and I looked across the table to see the girls staring at the tabletop when they weren't glancing at each other out of the corners of their eyes.