Chapter Eight

Flying on Sapphire, Magica felt free. She forgot about taking back the throne and about the ShadowMaster. At least, until the night came.

"What-" Drago began.

"We have entered Gandra. Remember what my mother said? Gandra is an eternal night," Magica reminded him.

"Yes, I remember now," Drago answered. They flew on a while longer.

"Look." Magica pointed. "It is the castle."

For there, below the, was a colossal, stone castle.

"Land on the tallest tower, Sapphire," Magica whispered. Sapphire glided down and landed on the tower, silently. Magica and Drago climbed off.

"Thank you Sapphire," Magica said.

"Magica? I just realised something," Drago said. "Sapphire and your auras are the same."

"What does that mean?" Magica asked.

"Your fates are bound. If she dies you do too," Drago said.

"I am guessing that it works both ways, does it not?" If I die she dies?" Magica whispered. Drago nodded weakly.

"Well... I guess we had better not die," Magica gulped.

"So what do we do now?" Drago asked eager to change the subject.

"My guess is that the throne room is straight through the front door so..." Magica began.

"... We find the front door," Drago finished.

❇❇❇

Magica and Drago stood before the massive wooden doors of the castle.

"What now?" Drago asked. Magica did not respond, she just closed her eyes and placed her hands on one of the doors.

"Ka-des," she muttered. The doors exploded. Magica was knocked off her feet. Drago helped her stand.

They walked through the colossal doorway, down a long corridor and into the throne room at the end of it. Sapphire stayed outside and guarded the doors.

In front of the throne was a red rug with gold edges. The throne itself was made of gold. Its back curved upwards and had a white gem, no bigger than a thumbnail, placed in the middle. Sitting on the throne was the ShadowMaster.

"Welcome, Magica, Drago, to the castle of Gandra. Since you are here could you kindly remove the Star from the back of the throne. I cannot touch it myself for it will send me back to the shadows and if that happens, then Gandra will be yours," the ShadowMaster said. Magica hesitated, a plan forming in her mind.

"Fine, I will remove the stone," Magica said, moving forward.

"Magica!" Drago warned. Magica ignored him and dislodged the stone. Instantly, Magica's vision went black and white. She retreated and stood next to Drago.

"What were you thinking?" Drago hissed.

"I have a plan," she answered. She closed her eyes, clutching the white gem, that the ShadowMaster had called the Star, in her left hand.

The air around Magica shimmered and a sword faded into existence at Magica's feet. The sword had a leather bound hilt and a flat, double-edged blade.

Magica picked up the sword in her right hand and balanced the Star on the base of the blade. She looked at the stone and muttered a few words. Again the shimmered and the Star was embedded in the base of the blade.

Magica let the sword's tip fall to the ground.

"Time for revenge," Magica said, glaring at the ShadowMaster.

"What are you talking about?" the ShadowMaster asked.

"You killed my mother!" Magica shouted. "Now you are going to pay!"

"Oh, yes. I had almost forgotten about that," the ShadowMaster said, standing. "Well I do need to kill you. I guess will let you fight back."

He drew his sword, which had been hidden under his cloak. With one quick movement, the sword came crashing down.

Magica's instincts kicked in. She dodged and tried to knock the ShadowMaster off his feet but he blocked her blow and pushed her backwards.

Magica stumbled backwards. She needed to get behind the ShadowMaster but how? Magic.

Magica closed her eyes. When she opened them again, a split second later, she was behind the ShadowMaster.

"I smell you," the ShadowMaster said, spinning around. Magica ducked under his sword bladed that would have easily sliced her in half.

Again Magica closed her eyes. She opened them and again she was behind the ShadowMaster. But this time she was quick.

She thrust her sword into his back.

"That is for my mother," Magica said. She pulled her sword from the ShadowMaster's back. The ShadowMaster melted into nothingness.

"You killed him," Drago whispered. "Magica?"

Magica fell to the ground, unconscious.