22

Frostcloud slept in her nest. In her dream, she was padding through an unfamiliar forest. To the trees clung the scent of cats and prey, though she failed to differentiate a mouse-scent from a squirrel. And above her, overcast clouds loomed with a reddish tint.

  Her pelt pricked in unease. Where was she? It was just after dawn and the temperate weather failed to comfort her. Frostcloud looked down; her white legs ached and her paws felt swollen from where they stood on the forest floor. How long had she been travelling? All night?

  Exhausted, Frostcloud scanned the area for shelter. She wanted nothing more than to find a warm crevice to collapse in, away from what looked like rain clouds above.

  A sudden flash of movement caught Frostcloud's eye as a chipmunk fell from a tree and, silently, collided into the undergrowth. Completely forgetting to stalk and neglecting her desire for rest, Frostcloud bounded clumsily after the rodent. She could feel herself kick up nettles, but the motion was done in complete silence. The chipmunk easily spotted the white she-cat and began to dash away. Frostcloud gave chase, but failed to keep up with the rodent as it skillfully darted up another tree, escaping Frostcloud's claws.

  Frostcloud stood at the base of the tree and stared up the trunk while her stomach knotted in hunger.