25

Buckheart, Frostcloud, and Cricketlegs had just finished re-scenting their borders, and now marched along the steel gorse along their territory. Their eyes were sharp, searching for any sign of bear.

  "Why would a bear want to come in?" Frostcloud asked out loud.

  Cricketlegs, who walked a tail-length ahead of the others, answered, "Bears sleep in the winter. It might be looking for a place to hibernate."

  Buckheart gave an odd look, "Bears hibernate? Like squirrels?"

  Nodding, Cricketlegs went on, "Needlepelt knows more about bears than any of the rest of us. He said they're not particularly dangerous, they eat berries. But they'd eat any cat they stumble upon too. And we wouldn't be able to stop it. They're huge- and even bigger when they stand on their back legs."

  Frostcloud's claws itched in unease upon the thought of watching a bear snag Doekit or Featherkit as a snack. How many kits would it eat before it was full?

  A bound of movement caught Frostcloud's eye, and past the steel gorse, Frostcloud noticed a herd of deer graze further down the way, where there appeared to be a meadow. Raising her head and pricking her ears, Frostcloud tried to get a better look at the mammals. She'd never had the opportunity to see a deer up close, but she had heard they weren't uncommon in ValleyClan territory.

  "What is it?" Buckheart asked when Frostcloud slowed her pace.

  "There's deer." She replied.

  Cricketlegs and Buckheart followed her gaze. "So there are." Cricketlegs purred, "The bear must not be nearby."

  Happily, Buckheart waved his tail. "That's good."