Part 2

DUSK-DECEMBER 25, 2017

James dreaded Christmas. Nothing had gone right for him any other time of year, so why would things go well now? His soul typically optimistic when the holidays came in hopes of maybe getting a secret Santa, he shook his head. He had just gotten up from a nap, he put on his favorite pajamas, his short blonde hair did not need combing, he rubbed his blue eyes and made his way down the stairs.

The living room presented a medium-sized Christmas tree, complete with lights, ornaments and a star on top-but, not a single gift. The floor a mess, the place smelt of smoke and alcohol.

His fifty-year-old father sits in his leather recliner, wearing a white tank top and shorts, his stomach hung out, his balding head and entire body dirty and unkempt.

The fourteen-year-old cleared his throat, maybe he had caught his dad in a good mood. Hark! The Herald Angels Sing played from the TV, the large choir sounding so angelic.

The window facing the outside world, getting covered in heavy snow. The wind could be faintly heard. The sky a pinkish color as the sun began its descent, James never quite spoke up loudly, he tried to keep his voice as even as possible. "Dad? Are we going to go out for Christmas? Maybe?" Mike, the father stretched and went to the kitchen, nearly bumping into his son. "Go to bed. You're not getting anything this year anyway." His voice cold and distant, his words slurred. He got nasty when he had too much booze. James sighed deeply, trying to keep his discomfort and depression pinned down. James knew his mother's death had taken a toll on his dad, it was no secret he only liked her for her looks. Her having a kid was something Mike was never fond of.

He chugged more of his liquor, standing, looking coldly at his son. "You're nothing but a nuisance. Feeding you is a pain, waste of my money, but I kept you to keep your mom. She was sexy." He paused and hiccupped. "She should have had that abortion."

This was the last straw for James. The cold comments, the nastiness, the vindictive heart. The teen threw on a pair of shoes, snatched his wallet and headed out the front door. The cold was more inviting than the evil nature of his dad.

NIGHTFALL-DECEMBER 25, 2017

Water splashed the unsuspecting victim. After a few deep breaths, he gazed upon his abductor holding the wooden bucket. Norman was chained to a large, rock wall.

Krampus smiled and held the kid's cheeks tightly. "Hello, Norman." Norman became pale. "Let me go! Now!"

Walking to a large table sitting beside the tied-up child, he read. "My boss tells me you've been quite naughty in school." He squirmed like all the other children had tried, he tried screaming loud as well. Looking around the lair, he saw the mutilated bodies of nasty children. The demon gave him a firm slap in the face. "Shut the hell up! Where was I?" He sighed deeply, eyeing the list again. "I hear you dumped one of your classmates in the toilet at school? I also hear you made fun of a kid with autism on your way home from school."

Norman's heart raced, and deep down he knew all of this to be true. "I didn't do any of that! That was my friend, Kevin! Please! Stop! Let me go!" The demon laughed. "You don't even know a Kevin! You DARE lie to me? You piece of shit! I've been doing this for a long time. Just like Santa, I'm good at my job." Terror grew inside Norman, but he kept talking. "Get Santa here! I bet he'd hate what you're doing!" The creature grabbed Norman's throat. "We're partners!"

Norman gasped for air, Krampus kept hold for a moment. "As much as I'd love to disembowel you, Santa told me to give you a second chance." Letting go, he glanced back at the tied victim coughing violently.

Norman almost felt a ping of relief, that maybe he'd get off with just a verbal warning. That is until the demon grabbed a large hammer from his sack. Norman felt the worst pain he ever had in his life, he knees shattered, the sound of the deep crack echoed through the lair. "A token to remember me by, Norman. May my face haunt your nightmares as you lie in your hospital bed."

Walking through the dark town, snow began to fall, and the wind became cold. James crossed his arms as the chill began to get to his bones. Glancing at houses, he admired the various decorations. Reindeer, snowmen and red and green lights wrapped around bushes and small trees.How desperately he wanted to knock on a door and be automatically invited in by a happy family. To have cookies and sit by a fireplace and talk of kindness and sing Christmas carols. Not one gift was given to him and he certainly didn't expect anything. With his mind clouded by hopelessness, James walked down the cold sidewalk leading to a bar, hoping to find warmth.

As Christmas carols came from the radio, James sat at the long table where a few other customers sat. He wasn't nearly old enough to drink, he got himself a hot chocolate. The bartender also grabbed him a warm blanket to wrap his shoulders around. The little act of kindness made James smile just a tiny bit, 'a little kindness can go along way' he thought to himself.

Out from the corner of his eye, sitting in far away from everyone else, he saw someone shrouded in darkness. Someone that everyone seemed to stay away from. Drinking Schnapps and looking straight into a wall, the man was obviously huge. Something about him was also sort of fascinating to James. Never had he seen someone so tall. Shrugging his shoulders, he sat in silence for a bit.

As the night went on, James sighed sadly and paid the bartender, it was time for him to go back to his awful life with his drunken dad. Another Christmas full of verbal abuse and darkness.

He turned to leave, then found himself bumping into a soft, fluffy wall of some sort. He staggered back and looked up to see the man he bumped into. His heart leapt into his throat as he eyed the man's hoofed feet and all the way up to his devilish and goat like face. Krampus slowly turned to meet the young man's terrified gaze. "Sorry sir." His voice shaking, afraid that the demon would lash out at him and rip his heart out or something to the affect.

He merely nodded. He recognized the boy. Norman was his bully in school, and it was no surprise to the demon. Finishing his drink, he spoke. "Go home, James. I have no qualm with you." Backing away, James' voice shook. "Wait. You're...Mr. Krampus. Aren't you?" The tales of the demon were always spread, and James found the creature to be fascinating. He had met Santa a few times, of course, Santa probably gave him gifts but his dad most likely threw them out before James even knew they were there. Krampus handed James a small, wrapped package. He then turned to leave, James followed behind him as he pocketed the small item.

Krampus went to his vehicle, not a sleigh like his boss had, but a black, rickety old van Santa had gotten it from his wife to keep incognito, now it belonged to his assistant.

James watched him approach the driver's side door and then walked in the opposite direction, shivering as the snow fell heavier and his pajamas became wet. "Come here," Krampus said, sounding as kind as he possibly could, but in all honesty, he still sounded like he could decapitate someone in an instant.

Walking up to him, James craned his head up. "Yes, sir?" "Let me take you home." James coughed a bit. "I can walk home. Thank you though." The demon turned to get into his vehicle. Then, the wheels in James' brain started. Maybe he could help with his dad's drinking problem? He was quite big and scary looking. Maybe no one would pick on him if they knew he hung out with the Christmas demon himself? According to legend, Krampus wouldn't hurt someone who did nothing wrong, and if he WAS on Krampus' list, James figured he would already be in agony. He then spoke hastily. "Sir? Thanks." He then went to the passenger side.

As he drove, the demon lit a cigarette and puffed. The back of the van was full of torture devices and dry blood stained the floor. The windshield wipers scrapped off the falling snow, the sound of the engine droned. The smell of alcohol and smoke filled his nostrils.

James kept his eyes to the ground, afraid of annoying Krampus. He did get a close look at the creature, while most kids wouldn't live to tell the tale.

His body toned, which only added to his menace. His movements so swift and large. James really couldn't keep his eyes off the driver, he was like nothing he had ever seen and scarier than his imagination could conjure up. This all felt like some odd dream, but deep down James knew that somehow he was sitting next to a legendary creature. A tad bit of glee filled his soul, feeling special for once in his life.