Part 8

Walking into the ballroom, I was nothing but amazed. Last night, I saw the ballroom and it was pretty but it was nothing compared to tonight.

There were twinkling lights dangling from the high ceiling, the Christmas tree was lit up, and there was someone playing the grand piano.

Plenty of people were already here already and it was only 7pm. Grandma Rose never missed a beat.

Rose and Richie were waving to us over from the bottom of the stairs. I couldn't help but look around for Carter. I hadn't seen him all day and I sort of missed him. Was that weird? I spotted him, speaking with his father and another gentleman, across the room near the Christmas tree. I wanted to wave to him but I feared it would look adolescent of me.

Just then, William walked over to Carter and nudged him to look up. The three men stopped talking and looked my way. Carter's mega watt smile graced his face the moment our eyes met. With Grandma Rose half way down the steps, I followed suit. I wanted to run towards Carter to greet him, but I wasn't messing up my Cinderella moment.

The piano was playing a soft tune as I slowly descended. It was like the world stood still as I watched Carter part the crowd to get to me. In that moment, all that surrounded us was the piano's angelic melody. Carter was slowly making his way across the floor to me. If my heart worked any faster, I'm sure I'd faint. I truly felt like a princess.

I don't know if it was the music, or the setting, or the energy in the room but in that moment, I could picture the rest of my life with the man whisking my way. He was the only one that mattered to me in this point.

We met each other simultaneously at the bottom of the staircase. "You look absolutely astonishing, Kitty." The way be looked at me made me feel even more princess-like. "I didn't think you would be able to get anymore beautiful than what you already are." Carter's awestruck expression left me feeling weightless. I couldn't wipe the smile off my face if I tried.

"Carter," I breathed. He took my right hand in his and kissed it. Could this feel anymore like a soppy fairytale romance? "You look just as stunning." I hope I didn't sound as mangled up as I felt.

"Why, Miss Abrams, you look marvellous." Carter's father and mother came over to stand near, breaking through the wall we had seemed to build around us. "Thank you, Grant." I eventually answered.

Alright, I had to get back to reality. I was moving way too fast but at this point, did I care?

"My mother gave you grandmother's pearls?" Grant asked, smiling towards them. My hand reached up as if I was checking if they were really there. "She's never taken them out of the casing." I didn't know if he was upset that she gave them to me or not. I mean, I could understand if he was. They were a family antique and I wasn't by any means family. Rose was more family than I was.

"I think they fit you well." Emily chimed, taking my hand and giving it a squeeze. I mouthed thank you and looked up at Carter. He met my gaze with a smile. I didn't miss his quick peek at my lips. Don't worry... I want to kiss you, too.

"I agree, Mil. I think they look lovely on you, Katherine."

Before I could respond, Carter's younger brother, William, walked up behind the Governor. He told his father that Senator McKinney had arrived and was requesting his presence.