.9. The Shadow

Kathryn, who opened the door, didn't even notice them at first. They were sitting on the doorstep; Donna was supporting the Doctor, who was leaning his shoulder against the wall.

"Oh," said Kathryn, once her eyes slid down towards them. "It's you. And this must be the friend you've been talking about?"

"Donna. My name is Donna Noble. And this is the Doctor. We need help."

"Yes, I can see." Kathryn's eyes were encircled by shadows and her skin was sickly greyish. "A medicine doctor?"

"Just Doctor. It's his name."

"Svegrid!" Kathryn called turning towards the dark abbey. "Bert!"

"It is a pneumonic plague," the Doctor murmured. "Just so that we're clear."

The woman gave him a piercing gaze. "When did the first symptoms appear?"

"In the morning," he answered. "Tiredness, muscle ache, shivers. But only a while ago I've felt that endotoxins penetrated my phagocytes... Very awkward sensation, really..."

Kathryn's eyebrows went up. Donna shook her head.

"He's not human," she said, the tone of voice she could use to say 'Don't ask.'

"He looks human," Kathryn noticed.

"Yeah, but he's not," Donna snapped irritably, the tone of 'Get over it' ringing clearly in her words.

"And he's sitting here, on your doorstep..." The Doctor coughed deeply. "While you are chatting as if... as if I wasn't here..."

"What species?" Kathryn bent over him. The circlet of the micro-molecular filter flashed from under her neckline as she moved. "What is your species?"

"He's a Time Lord," said Donna, peeking impatiently inside the abbey.

Kathryn goggled at her and then burst into a hysterical laughter. "That's... That's a good joke. Really. A good one. But seriously?"

"He's a Time Lord," Donna repeated angrily. "What's so funny about that?"

"They don't exist."

"They do," the Doctor murmured. "In me. Barely, though. If you won't share a few doses of spherozones, you'll be absolutely right, and the Time Lords will meet their extinction right here, on your doorstep. Very soon."

"Sorry." Kathryn stepped away, moving out of the way of two men, who quickly lifted the Doctor from the floor. The Doctor tried to walk, but he was only dragging his feet. Donna pressed her hand to her lips, trying to stifle sobbing. Kathryn grabbed her hand, stopping her on the threshold.