||Chapter Sixteen||

A/N:
Thank you so much to perhapsisjustarumour for creating the new cover to this story! I love it and greatly appreciate it, thank you! ❤️
__________

Ella and Bill drove in silence. The radio hummed quietly—enough to keep them distracted, but not enough to absolve the awkwardness of what was getting ready to happen. He had wanted to cancel; to lie and say that something had come up. But he knew how much this meant to Ella (for whatever reason.)

He stopped in front of the two story home; the style colonial with white siding and navy shutters. There was even a small cul-de-sac that circled in the front of the house.

Bill released an audible huff; his cheeks puffing as he killed the engine. He leaned back in the seat, staring at the nice house.

"It's not gonna be as bad as you think." Ella nearly giggled. Bill shook his head, narrowing his eyes up at the house as if scoping it out. She watched as his lips pouted—several wrinkles forming along his forehead.

"This is insane. Why- why did I commit to this?" Bill looked to Ella with wide eyes; his fingers idly tapping the bottom of the steering wheel as he chewed on his lip.

"Because... I really want him to understand." Ella admitted, flashing him a hurtful half smirk. "I know that when my dad meets you, he's gonna understand why I did what I did. Why I married you. He's gonna like you."

Bill shook his head, burying his face in his palms with a forced laugh as he tilted his head back into the headrest. "Worst idea I've ever heard," Bill mustered the will to get out the car, throwing open the door. "The worst idea I've ever heard." He repeated as Ella followed his lead.

Bill stood next to Ella on the wrap around porch; he ran his hands through his hair, sweeping the strands to one side nervously before tucking it behind his ears.

"I think if they meet you before the divorce, they'll be more understanding about things. Not that you care, but as my parents, I care what-"

"I care." Bill's brows furrowed as he looked to Ella with folded arms. "I wouldn't be here if I didn't care. But you gotta understand, your dad... he's probably gonna hate me regardless. This may just make things worse." He shrugged, tilting his head slightly as he looked to Ella with a half smirk.

The door opened, revealing a rather petite women that looked good for her age. Although their hair differentiated in color, Bill saw Ella in the woman's eyes. She wore a bright smile with long hair of blonde and silver; her half pony pulled back with wispy bangs that hung over her cheekbones.

"Ella! I was wondering who pulled up, I didn't recognize the car." She spoke excitedly, wrapping her arms around her daughter. Thin bracelets rattled as she patted Ella's shoulder; her dangling earrings matching the set on her wrist. Bill wasn't the type to judge, but looking at Ella's mother, he couldn't help but to be reminded of a teacher—she even dressed like one, with a long floral skirt and a black vest over her oversized white blouse.

"Who's this?" She smiled wide; still holding onto Ella's arm as she stepped to the side, gesturing for them to come in.

They made their way into the house; her mother closing the door behind them. "This is Bill, he's..." Ella stopped, looking cautiously to him with questioning eyes—unsure of what to address him as.

"I'm Dean's lead." Bill spoke for Ella, extending his hand.

She smiled, "It's great to meet you, I'm Diane. Speaking of Dean, where is he?"