5 - A Little Help From My Friends

A Little Help From My Friends

(A/N: This is inspired by: Ghosts and the paranormal. I've always had a fascination with the paranormal and so why not join two of my favourite things; Sherlock and the supernatural. It's a little bit longer than usual and it's fluffy.)

“I would say the victim was about 23 with a long term boyfriend, an abusive father and...she was doing a law degree at Kingston University. You should probably ask her father about the blow to the ribs which punctured her lung causing her to suffocate.” he smiled at Lestrade as he uncurled himself from being crouched by the body. John and Lestrade looked at him in amazement, it had been years but they never stopped looking at him like that after he made an almost impossible deduction, and Sherlock never stopped appreciating it.

“How could you possibly know what university she went to?” Lestrade asked. Sherlock stalled for a second, listening to the shadow before repeating what he had been told.

“If you check the inside pocket she'll have a student card in there.” he may not have the deductive skills everyone thought he had but he had learnt to become a good liar over the years because the truth wasn't always what people wanted to hear. “Is that all?” Lestrade nodded, feeling slightly dazed, but he still crouched next to the victim and checked the inside pocket finding the evidence Sherlock had told him about.

“I don't even remember you looking in this pocket.” he breathed, as if he was talking to himself. The inspector stood up to face Sherlock, “Thank you, mate. I'll let you know how it goes with the father.” Sherlock had already started walking away though so John smiled at Lestrade then followed Sherlock who was now sat in the back of a cab, waiting uncharacteristically patiently for his blogger.

***

John set the mug down on the cluttered desk next to Sherlock who was tuning his violin and watching the street with hawk like attention.

“You didn't check that pocket.” he commented,

“Hmm?” Sherlock asked, snapping back into reality.

“You did not check that pocket, so how did you do it?”

“You must have missed it.” Sherlock replied nonchalantly, hoping John would accept it which he did. The blogger slumped down into his armchair and sipped carefully on his tea. Sherlock went back to tuning his violin, played a song and then put it down on it's stand. There was nothing to think about, and the shadow was still talking to him. Sherlock wanted to tell it to shut up but knew it wouldn't work and that John would ask questions.

The detective remained silent as he drank his coffee before disappearing into his bedroom so he could amuse the shadow so that it would leave him alone for a while.

“What do you want?” he hissed once he shut the door behind him.

“You haven't been listening to me?” Sherlock shook his head at the shadow which looked vaguely upset, he hated that the shadow was the only thing that made Sherlock feel vulnerable. “I was telling you that the others have told me Lestrade arrested the father. He was so drunk he just...confessed.” Sherlock rolled his eyes to himself because however much it annoyed him to have this shadow constantly following him around, he loved the stream of information.

“How is everyone else?” he asked, hoping to change the topic and have a broad enough conversation for the shadow to go away. It perched in Sherlock's chair, looked comfortable despite not being a solid being.

“Fine, they'll be glad you asked. I keep getting requests from others asking to meet you but I don't want to make this thing we've got going on too...crowded.”