02 | If only you knew

ELOISE'S POV

Sometimes, I think, there are people who are too kind for this world. Today is finally the day I get to see my other best friend, Fio, get married. I knew Fio was a caring and selfless person, but marrying the person whom she doesn't love just to protect her blood family? I don't know what to feel about that. I've talked to her about it multiple times, but she would only smile gently and shake her head at me. 

I took out the dress that was hung in my cupboard for a far, long time. When was the last time I dolled up for a special occasion? I have simply no idea.

The dress was simple, yet elegant and graceful. It was crimson, and the top was laced beautifully along with its sleeves. It was buckled with a silver belt and it reached to my ankles as I slipped into the dress. It had a slit, which exposed my left leg. Corteo thought that this would suit me a lot. But personally, this makes me feel insecure - but hey, it's not like I own a wardrobe of fancy dresses. 

I brushed my hair and let it fall till my waist. I battled with myself whether I should apply make up or not.  After a few minutes, I decided to apply a layer of light pick lipstick, as my dress already stands out too much. 

After wearing my simple, white flat shoes, I checked myself in the mirror one last time. Who knows if I will ever see Fio again tomorrow, so I might as well look good on her wedding day.

----

Everything was organized so well and it was rather impressive. Music was playing, some kids were running here and there, and servants were serving delicious food.

I looked to the right and left, hoping to get a glimpse of where Fio was. I then spotted her - sitting with her so-called fiance, Ronald, while talking to some friends. I smiled, and I begin to walk towards her table.

"Aw, look who's dolled up for her big day." I sang cheerfully, completely ignoring her fiance.
"Eloise!" She gasped, standing up and excusing herself from her other friends.

I stretched my arms and grinned, and she enveloped her arms around me, pulling me to a tight hug.

"You look stunning!" she then broke the hug and gave me a playful wink, "maybe you'll find a lucky guy today!" 

Heat rushed to my cheeks. I knew I was getting red.

"Geez! No! Don't be silly!" I rolled my eyes.

She only giggled in a girly way. And before I could continue to converse with her, her annoying fiance waved his hand.

"Fio! Come here, darling!" He called.
"Coming, dear!" She called back.

I grunted. Can't he let us have some peace of our own?

"Sorry, Eloise," she shoot an apologetic smile, "we'll catch up later, okay? Meanwhile, enjoy the food here! But don't finish it!"
"It's fine," I nodded, "don't worry, the food will be gone before you will even realize it."

She laughed, and walked back to her table. Ronald grabbed her waist and pulled her closer to him, acting all lovey-dovey. I cringed, so I decided to grab some food.

Just as I was about to do so, I spotted the two familiar people I've met yesterday. Why was Corteo here as well? He never told me he would be attending the wedding. And what's with the other irksome being tagging along with Corteo everywhere? 

"Corteo?" I called out, walking towards him. He seemed to be talking with Vanno and Barbero along with the other human whom-I-definitely-disliked. Corteo froze in his spot as he slowly turned around. A sweat rolled down his forehead as he immediately blushed when he saw me. His friend simply looked at me with his never ending bored expression, while Vanno and Barbero welcomed me warmly.