05 | Forgotten Memories

TIME-SKIP TO NEXT DAY

The atmosphere was gloomy, and the weather didn't help much in improving it. Instead, it made it deteriorate, for drops of rain ascended from the sky. The sky wasn't that much of a pretty sight to see either. It was just plain grey, reminding us that life was fair enough to be unfair to everyone. 

At Vanno's funeral, I hear bells ringing in my ears. I'm not sure if it was because he died. People often say you hear bells ringing in your ears if your time is close. Other than that, many people surrounded his buried coffin, throwing white flowers that symbolized death. 

Avilio, Nero, and I stood at a distance, watching the funeral go on. There was no shelter above us to prevent us from getting wet. I decided to stand next to Avilio, for I felt Nero distancing himself from me recently. 

"Go back to the car without me." Nero stated.

Avilio and I only looked at him with no response. Avilio turned around and grabbed my hand, pulling me along with him. As we kept getting farther away from Nero, I dared to glance back for a brief moment. 

When I did, I regretted it instantly. Nero was on his knees, tears rolling down from his cheeks. It made me feel like as if my insides were torn apart. Vanno was so dear to him, and it killed me to know that Vanno was one of those men who killed Avilio's family. Avilio's family was like my own, treating me better than my biological family did. I can never, ever, compare them to anyone, not even to how the Vanetti family treats me.

I almost want to tear my grasp from Avilio's hand, and he noticed. He only grasped my hand tighter and pulled me back. His eyes drifted towards Nero's state with an emotionless expression, then his cold eyes met mine.

"Eloise. He needs some time," he spoke, surprisingly gentle in contrast to his cold eyes, "he told us to go back to the car, remember?" 

I nodded shamefully, and we continued walking. His hand locked in mine was the only reassuring thing at the moment, but I fear it might not last.

"Avilio." I whispered, restraining myself to calling him by his real name.
"What is it?" He asked, looking at me.
"Do you know the men who killed our family?" 

His grip only tightened as I watched him swallow hard. He knows his family were like my own too. 

"I do."

---- 

TIME-SKIP TO ONE WEEK LATER

I sat at the back seat, placing my chin on my hand as I watched the raindrops roll down the window. 

FLASHBACK

"Who?" I whispered, "who are these monstrous creatures who decided to kill them?"
"Vanno Clemente. Nero Vanetti. Vincent Vanetti." He replied.

I widened my eyes as my shoulders trembled. Nero and Vincent too? Why them? A twisted feeling bubbled inside me as the thought of the family I was close to, murdered another family that was much more precious to me.

"What will you do now, Eloise?" Avilio asked.
"I..I.." I stuttered as I looked at the ground while we walked to the car. 
"Don't do anything. I'm going to stain my hands with their blood. They'll pay." He replied, a glint of vengeance shone in his eyes. His voice held so much hatred.  

Nothing else was said after that, for we both were preoccupied with our ruthless thoughts.

END OF FLASHBACK

I shuddered at the memory. The time seemed to drag on endlessly as I continued to do nothing except watching the rain and taking a glance at Avilio and Nero once in a while. It was intensely quiet, almost as if no one dared to move a limb.