Chapter Two

The sun rose early, creeping up on the camp and bathing it in a warm blanket of sunlight. The day was clear, beautiful and calm. David was sleeping soundly when suddenly something bashed against his bedroom window. David yelped.

"GOOD MORNING!" He screeched.

He sat up and looked out the window. There, standing outside, was Space Kid and Nikki. Nikki was carrying Space Kid under her arm.

"Morning, David!" Nikki chirped.

"Hhhowdy, David!" Space Kid cooed, obviously dizzy from the impact.

David sighs with a smile. Nothing out of the ordinary. David opens the window.

"Morning, kiddos!" He says, cheerfully.

"What're you two up to?" He asks, tilting his head.

"Oh. We don't know where the Quartermaster is and we wanted food. I was using Space Kid's helmet to break down the door but we missed and hit the window. Sorry!" Nikki smiled nervously. David chuckles.

"That's alright!" He says.

"Poor old Quartermaster must be sleeping in! He can rest today."

David closed the window and walked outside.

"Come on, kids!" David smiled warmly.

"I'll see if I can whip a big pot of...something...Gee, I hope we still have enough ingredients. It's been...weeks since we last went out for groceries." David voiced his worry without realizing it.

Nikki ran to David's side and held his hand. David looked at her, surprised.

"Don't worry, David! I've broken into the pantry enough to know that we have enough to make...uhh...bread...stew..?" Nikki cheered.

David chuckled, amused, yet stressed.

"Oh boy. Alright. I'll see what I can do."

Space Kid ran and clung to David's leg.

"We have space food, too!" He chirps.

David sighs with a smile.

"You kids are clingy today, huh?" He continues walking even with Space Kid on his leg.

"You seemed upset." Nikki said simply, still holding David's hand.

"We may act crazy but...we care for you! Max does, too!" Nikki smiles up at him.

David was touched. "Wow...Thank you, Nikki!! He says, ruffling Nikki's hair.

"Me, too! Me, too!" Space Kid pulls at David's vest. David awkwardly pats Space Kid's helmet. Space Kid giggles.

Well, luckily they DID have a lot of bread. The only logical idea was to make bread pudding, so that is was David and his two little helpers did. Max tiredly walked into the kitchen. He had a mug of coffee in his hand and he took a sip before speaking.

"Where's Gwen?" He asks, flatly. David stops mixing the pot and puts a hand on his hip as he looks at his watch.

"Huh...she's normally up by now!" He says, thoughtfully.

"Max, can you keep stirring this pot while I look for her?" David tilts his head towards Max. Max sighs, clearly tired.

"Yeah, okay." He rubs his eyes at he sets his mug on the counter.

He was a lot more obedient as of recent. David grabbed a foot stool and set it in front of the stove.

"There you go! Don't burn yourself!" David reminds Max as he walks away.