Chapter Five

Daniel was floating. Was he supposed to be floating? How odd. He didn't remember he was able to do that. He looked around like a scared beetle. Where was he? He turned his body in mid air and looked down, nothing but a blank, endless void. He felt sick. He was suddenly laying on the ground in his childhood home. The familiar smell of baked goods lingered in the dark home. He got up or...was he still laying down? He couldn't tell, his sight seemed to view the whole home at once. The beautiful carvings in the painted black wooden walls, the rusted stove, all of it. He saw his mother cooking at the stove, humming happily. She was always happy. They were a happy family.

He saw his nine-year old self calmly walk down the stairs with a large grin.

"Oh, joy!" He sang. There was the sound of the door opening and the rhythmic steps of his father coming into the small home.

"Father of mine!" Daniel cheered, seeing his father walk in.

"Son of mine!" His father sang.

"Family, I have brought a guest!" Daniel's father spoke.

Daniel's child self clapped his hands together and smiled, a smile that never left, a smile that was always there.

"How exciting!" Daniel's mother cheered.

"Oh, I do hope we have enough food!" She had a look of innocent worry.

"Do not worry, my dear! This guest is a bit...small!" Daniel's father laughed.

Just then, a girl, about twelve years of age, walked into the kitchen. She had long strawberry red hair in a french braid. Her eyes were imperfect, one green eye and one grey eye. Freckles peppered her nose and her cheeks. She wore a t-shirt with a pixelated space ship on it and a blue backwards cap. Young Daniel's pupils got larger.

She looks ever so pretty! His thoughts whispered.

"Hey!" She waved to the little boy.

"This is Eloise! She heard the speech I did on the streets and she was interested in a loving home with our God!" Daniel's father put his hand on the girl's shoulder and tilted his head.

"Uh...yeah! I'm...pretty lonesome. When you said that stuff near my school...I felt...safe." She smiled sweetly.

"You see, family, little Eloise here lost her parents two years ago in a car accident." Daniel's father frowned, though it looked fake.

"Oh, goodness! Such a tragedy!" Daniel's mother put her hand to her chest.

"I am so sorry." Daniel looked sadly at the girl.

"Ah, geez. It's...in the past. You shouldn't apologize. Uh..Daniel, is it?" The girl patted Daniel on the head.

"I can tell that we are going to be good friends!" Daniel chirped. The girl blushed a bit.

"Awe." She smiles.

"Me, too, buddy."

She turned to father. "Is it okay if I phone my aunt? I want her to know I'm here."

Father tilted his head.

"We do not own a telephone."