Chapter 30

Chapter 30

Mike’s POV

          He woke up facing away from Chester who was now curled up in a ball on the other side of the bed, with a blanket around him. Mike stretched and then rolled over to pull Chester next to him. He was met with a sight that he couldn’t believe he had never noticed before. Along with the bruise in the middle of Chester’s back, there were angry slashes. Mike stared. Most of them were carved deep into his back. Mike let his fingers hover over the smaller boy’s back as he felt the slightly raised skin.

          “Things seem to have a lasting effect on me. Especially those,” Chester whispered and Mike was surprised that he was awake.

          “Who did this Chaz?”

          “Who do you think?” Chester still hadn’t turned to face him.

          “Your dad?”

          Chester nodded, “These are just from the bad days.”

          Mike reached over and made Chester face him. The other boy wasn’t crying but he still looked upset.

          “I’m sorry Chaz,” Mike said.

          “It’s not your fault. You don’t have to apologize for anything,” Chester said quietly. Mike reached over Chester’s shoulder and put his arm around Chester’s thin body. His hand brushed against the scars he hadn’t noticed until today. But now he would always notice them because it was just another thing he had learned about his boyfriend. Chester didn’t look at him.

          “About what your dad said………”

          “That’s bullshit Chaz. You don’t listen to anything he said.”

          “No Mike………I do have issues. I’m fucked up. Normal people do not have what I have ok? Normal people have not been raped by their parents or beaten. Normal people have not done drugs. Normal people aren’t like me!” Chester said as he looked away.

          “Normal people aren’t like you Chaz. And that’s what I love about you. You’re so special. So different from all of them. Sure it might not be in the best way possible, but you’re perfect to me. Forget what everyone else thinks,” Mike said and Chester gave him a sad smile.

          “How am I supposed to forget it all when it keeps getting shoved back into my face?”

          Mike was silent. He knew what Chester was saying was true. The poor kid couldn’t get a break. People made fun of him all the time.

          “I….don’t know,” Mike said softly. Chester shook his head and laughed bitterly.