You Chose Me?

I jumped from the place on the couch and ran into my bedroom. I grabbed the oldest bed sheets I had and put them on the bed. I smiled from ear to ear imagining my plan I had.

I took my phone from the side table of the living room and texted Stephanie: Hey

She texted back: Oh hey

Me: Hi, I know what happened yesterday seemed bad but I think I know a way to fix it

‘Stephanie’: I’m listening.

Me: Look, let me swing by and pick you up and we can come back to my place so I can try to explain better

‘Stephanie’: Ok. And she gave me her address.

I snatched my keys from the counter and hopped in my car and drove to her house.

When I arrived at her house, I got out and approached her door. Knocked twice. Waited. A few seconds later she opened the door. Her hair straighten, just the right amount of make-up, simple t-shirt, and her worn-out jeans. I smiled at her but only got a half-ass nod in return.

I sighed slightly. “Stephanie, I will fix this. I promise.” I motioned for her to follow me back to my car.

* * *

I dropped her off at my house and poured some soda for her and turned on the TV. I handed her the remote and she threw me a curious look.

“I am a horrible host. I forgot to get something. Here is the remote and there are snacks in the kitchen. I will be RIGHT back.” I grinned, Steph taking the remote and nodding with annoyance.

I ran back down to my car and practically laughed at my next step of the plan.

Once I arrived at Ray’s apartment, I walked up to his door and rang the bell. I heard him unlock the door and slowly the door opened.

Ray’s faces brightened at my presence, “Hey dude! Why did you leave work early today? You alright?” He started to allow me into his apartment but I didn’t move.

“Yes! I’m fine now, Ray! But hey, wanna come over to my place and hang for a few?”

“Hell yeah! Should I bring any games?”

“Nope. Let’s go.”

I led Ray to my car and we drove back to my place.

 * * *

I could not control my chuckling and grinning as we made our way up to my apartment.

“Michael! What is so damn funny? You’ve been laughing to yourself all the way here!” Ray snapped.

“Oh? I didn’t notice. I really shouldn’t be laughing…I’m just proud of myself.” I admitted and turned to Ray as I opened the door behind me.

“Why are you pro—“ Ray stopped talking when he saw Stephanie sitting on the couch. He jaw dropped slightly and stared at me.

Stephanie stood from the sofa and looked just as surprised as Ray.

“Okay.” I held Ray’s back and pushed him into the room. “Look, I brought you here to talk to you guys and to have you two talk things out.”

Stephanie crossed her arms and walked closer to where Ray and I stood by the door. “Why? There is nothing to talk about.”

“Yeah. Stephanie and I are fine.” Ray said putting his hands in his pockets.

“I understand that but I think there is something to talk about.” I paused and took a breath. “Let me start from the beginning. Ray and I have been best friends since the day he joined Achievement Hunter. We would always hang out, be team members, and everything. But when we met, he had a girlfriend. There was no romantic connection between us. That was a year or two ago. He and his girlfriend split up for unimportant reasons a while back. Just a few months ago, I noticed a slight change in Ray’s behavior toward me. Earlier this month, he planned this AMAZING time at Dave and Buster’s and we had a kick-ass time.” I glanced at Ray, who was smiling at the ground. I continued, “That night…he kissed me. Then I realized that night was a date. Then it hit me that he liked me. I didn’t know what to do. I liked him, I did, but no more than a friend.”