Prologue

The night had been like any other in the vast desert of Lancaster, California. It was a dark, quiet, and seemingly vacant when the moon rose. Every house had its own atmosphere because of the distance between every house. The big roads gave way for a quiet mind as each unique house seemed to greet anyone walking the streets. There was something hauntingly nostalgic about it, but it also felt like walking down her own stairs in the dark.

Monique continued walking the streets, dreading the fresh summer night air. She had too much to think about this Friday night.  Her ex-boyfriend, Johnathan Lawren, had cheated on her, and in a fitful rage, she cheated on him right back. It was a horrible break up, and it was recent. Her brown eyes no longer drooped with the weight of sadness. They simply carried thoughts.

A light rain drop fell on her hand, so she gathered her long brown hair back into her hood, pulling the hood of her gray sweater over her head. She continued walking down the empty street, spotting the dirt road where the neighborhood ended. She took this time to smell the fresh rain on the desert sand and the personal gardens of the neighborhood. It was the one thing that would always make sense in the world no matter what happened.

Even now as her parents were arguing about moving because they were short on rent, even as her sister realized she would never get into law school; the smell calmed everything for a moment. Yet it was lonely and incomplete, so she took out her phone for the fifth time with no reply from her best friend, Bryanna.

It is late, Monique thought. She'll probably reply tomorrow.

As Monique placed the phone back into her pocket, the phone vibrated, but she rolled her eyes at her discovery. Trixie had texted her, not Bryanna.

The blue haired, annoying Trixie had always invited Monique to something, and it never ended well. Had Monique not known better she would say Trixie wanted Monique to be miserable. Regardless, she read the text.

Come to the camp site. 

Monique sighed at the late request, but she didn't want to go home at the moment. It was easier to keep walking and explain things later to her parents if they worried. However, Trixie hadn't exactly been the one she wanted to talk to, and her crush's favorite spot was the campsite. She remembered how bad of a first impression she made on him two weeks earlier.

Monique inhaled deeply and continued walking down the long street, heading to what the small community called "the campsite." There were only a few trees and old dirt paths. Somehow this was all people wanted of a camp within a desert to be, even though they were warned it was dangerous at night due to wild life.

Monique walked off the turn of the street to the path that lead to the campsite, annoyed but comforted. She remembered that Bryanna was bitten by a wolf when she camped here with her parents. Bryanna was absolutely afraid of going to the campsite again, so Monique wouldn't ask Bryanna to join her.

It had been about a month since then, and Monique knew she could never convince Bryanna to camp. It could have been nice, but camping was dangerous in this California desert. And Bryanna had every right not to go back. Monique froze as Trixie spotted her.

"Hey, you!" Trixie grinned.

"I have a name," Monique rolled her eyes.

Trixie shrugged. "We're not going to the 'camping grounds.' We're staying here at the entrance. Apparently, there have been two wolves there recently."

Monique rolled her eyes at the blue haired girl because the entrance was just the middle of the path that lead to the camping grounds. "Don't tell me that you couldn't wait for our actual friend camping trip to Thousand Trails tomorrow."