Chapter 4 - Trigger

• Dedicated to Azmaisha

Chaptr 4: Trgger

Kayley POV:

Grace. Dead. Note. From who? All these stupid thoughts were scrambling through my head while I was trying to go to sleep. Ugh, I need my beauty sleep. Hello! I am going on a date with Seth. No, stop thinking Kayley. I could hear Destiny’s steady breathing on the ground beside me. We were too terrified to be in our rooms by ourselves. Two hours later and not getting any closer to falling asleep, i continued thinking. I know it’s crazy that we haven’t told anyone about the note or Grace but Destiny and I had both thought about it and came up with the same conclusion... grace is dead. Someone killed her and we were going to find out who did it.  I mean, it can‘t be that hard. We watch plenty of Criminal Minds and CSI. We have investigated things before. And even if we did tell someone they would think we killed Grace. Why? Because we have the note, because we are..were her closest friends and we could easily hide our motive, or maybe because we were there the moment she was discovered dead. Wait, nobody knows we were there... or do they? Ok, no Kayley just stop thinking about it, just stop thinking all together, you have to sleep it’s 3am. I wonder if Destiny is having the same problem as I am.

“Destiny?” I whispered softly. No response. “Destiny!” I yelled into her ear.

“Ahh! What Kayley?!” she moaned, “I’m tired. Shut-up.”

“No, I can’t sleep. How can you? Grace is dead, we found the note... how?” a shudder ran down my spine. Destiny, now wide awake rolled over to face me.

“Do you think we should tell anyone?” Wow, sometimes it’s like she can read my mind. The next hour went by like concrete being dragged across the causeways by an Aztec commoner. And that was pretty slow. Social Studies? Really Kayley? i am losing it.

There wasn’t much talking, just staring up at the ceiling and my tired mind going completely crazy. at some times I felt like I had fallen asleep and this crazy ‘Grace is dead and we have a creepy killer note’ concept was all just a bad dream...a very bad dream. But then, I would look to my left and see Destiny and get slapped in the face with reality again.

After what seemed like ages of staring into space, Destiny’s alarm clock went off only to remind us that it was only Tuesday...

Heading down the stairs, we walked into the kitchen and I grabbed milk while Destiny pulled out the Cheerios.

“Aw we have no car... we have to walk to school,” Destiny moaned.

“Damn it!” I replied.

“I’m going to get dressed,” Destiny stated as she was halfway down the hallway leading to the stairs.

“Fine. I will clean the table,” I muttered to myself, staring at her barely touched cereal bowl next to mine.

After dumping the dishes in the sink leaving the soggy Cheerios in the bowls, I headed upstairs to get dressed. Walking into my bedroom, I dug around in my messy closet and pulled out a pair of black sweatpants and an orange tank top. Grabbing my backpack with my unfinished homework, I made my way back down the stairs bumping into Destiny who was wearing a pair of grey sweatpants and a pink tank top. Well, great minds think alike.

Sighing as we stepped out our front door we began our 20 minute walk to our high school. We sluggishly walked 6 blocks when I realized I forgot my phone! The moment that thought crossed my mind, I stopped  in my tracks. Destiny caught on quickly and stopped a few steps in front of me.

“What?!” Destiny angrily asked me getting a little more awake and alert.

“I forgot my phone,” my reply came almost robotically.

“No! Kayley we will be late!” Destiny exclaimed.

“Okay, you know I don’t want to bring this up but after what happened yesterday do you really want us to go to school with one of us missing a phone?!”

Destiny groaned and turned around and with that we headed back home. We walked for 10 minutes then came to a halt in front of Grace’s house. She lived a few doors down from us and we noticed immediately that police CRIME SCENE tape was surrounding every corner of Grace’s house. There were police cars parked everywhere, even on their front lawn. Sirens were flashing and people were crying.

Both of us being as paranoid as we were, sprinted past her house (not the smartest thing to do I know) and just we were past her house a voice behind us boomed, “Wait!” without looking back, I thumbed for my keys in my front pocket. I pushed the key into the front door lock just to realize they were my car keys. Trying with Destiny’s spare key, we threw open the door and slammed the door behind us, closing out all the chaos from outside.

Heading to the kitchen table where I left my cell phone, I saw that I had a new message. Checking to see who it was I opened it up to find out that it was from a private number. Reading the text, I shuddered when I was just half way through:

Grace was just the beginning. -W

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The song for this chapter: Yesterday performed by Adam Levine and Tony Lucca

Love that song! Love The Voice! <3 Hope you enjoyed the chapter sorry it was s short, I promise chapter 5 will be long! :D