Song #15: Time

MILES: I had a farmhouse with a grandfather clock where I would teach time to my son. Our lessons began at twelve o'clock sharp, when the hands would come in as one. I'd say "the big hand counts minutes; it's so tightly wound. It chases the small hand to make hours go 'round." I taught Thomas constellations in the sky; to tell a silver maple from a cottonwood. I taught Thomas to divide and multiply, but one thing he never understood was time as I watched him grow, time he would never know time for my regret resides, time. If I only knew the what and how and who that time truly divides... There was a farmhouse with a grandfather clock, where one day I woke up alone. They feared I was magic, they feared I was cursed, but mostly they feared the unknown. The big hand's the father, the small hand's the son... and there never came a time when they came back as one. I taught Thomas how to catch a firefly; how to make a pebble skip and rowboat skim. She took Thomas, and never said good-bye... the one thing I could never give to him was time, time... I'm left with nothing. Nothing but time.

WINNIE: Miles, I don't have a father anymore.

MILES: you don't.

WINNIE: no. But I will always love him, for the rest of your life. And I promise, Thomas will love you for the rest of his.