After the Kidnapping [AE]

After the whirlwind of Christmas Ball ending everybody was preparing to leave except for Rikkard Ambrose. The only reason he stayed was that he promised both Adaira and his mother. Adaira hoped he would stay on better circumstances but his demeanor grew darker with every second that passed eventually he stormed out the ballroom and back to his room. Adaira didn't go chasing after him she knew he needed some time alone. Though she promised herself she would go see him before breakfast.

So, here she was standing in front of his door and the empty hallway pondering if she should go inside. A part of her told her not to but the other part knew he needed someone. Eventually, she gave into the latter. She knocked on the door twice before entering.

Rikkard sat in front of the fireplace staring into the open flames.
"I don't wish to be bothered." He said coldly.

"Well, too bad." She snapped. She quietly chided herself for sounding so defensive. She straightened the imaginary creases on her skirt and took her place on the chair beside him.

"So, brother. When do you plan on leaving?" She asked him. She looked at him and noticed a piece of green ribbon in his hand. She immediately knew who it belonged to.

"I still have some business to take care of here. As soon as I'm done with that I'll be gone." His voice sounded so cold and cutting. Adaira wondered how many people her brother scared off by just looking at them or hearing the sound of his voice.

"Really? I didn't know you had business here. It almost sounds like you're avoiding going back to London." Adaira added a hint of nonchalance to her voice. She knew if Lillian were still here they'd be gone at the first chance they got. The fact that he was making up an excuse to leave was rather suspicious.

"Of course I have business here. I am the heir apparent to the title. One day I'm going to inherit all of this; not that it matters. I'll still be rich with or without this old place. I just need to make sure everything is in order here before I leave."

In truth, Rikkard was stalling. He didn't know how he would react going back to the empty office. He had become so accustomed to hearing her every morning for the past year. He grew used to her daily routines he remembered it like clockwork. He just needed to figure out where to go instead of going back to his office at Empire house. So far, he hadn't come up with anything.

"Well, why don't you let me handle that. I'm sure you much more needed back at your office instead of boring old Battlewood."

"No," he snapped. "I'll do it myself."

She bit down on her tongue to keep from smiling.

"Well, alright then," she said giving up. 

A/N: So this is an alternate ending to (After the Kidnapping) I wrote this a longgg time ago. I'm just going down the list of my drafts and posting whatever seems to be finished? 

Oh and P.S. I found an old draft that I wrote a long time ago about Captain Carter and Lily at Battlewood, so let me know in the comments if you would like to read it and I'll go ahead and post it.